Brass has gone white

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Dells, Nov 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dells

Dells Registered User

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all
    I cleaned some parts with ready made clock cleaner 10% in water in an ultrasonic cleaner for 30 minutes and it has come out part white, anyone got a reason why.
    See photos
    Dell DE3602DA-E6E2-4B82-B720-D72F368F943C.jpeg 633A3146-FC8A-4CAC-A2BC-7C58149EEF49.jpeg

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like it was not rinsed, and then dried properly.

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Too long in the ultrasonic will make the solution too hot and this will damage the laquer that is on brass plates and wheels. Once this occurs, the only fix is to remove all the damaged laquer.

4. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I could be the laquer or some other agent that has turned white, however I hope that you did not just put the movement in the ultrasonic without taking it to bits? If it is a spring driven movement better get the springs out quick.

5. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    By your picture I can't even tell what it is ??

6. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    R&A is right: the part, parts, or movement is unrecognizable, as is its surface condition.

And I agree that there was a lacquer finish that was damaged. Provided there aren't portions of the movement that could dissolve in lacquer thinner, briefly soak it in acetone or lacquer thinner to remove all remaining lacquer, helping matters along with a non-dissolving brush as necessary. And yes: pull out any mainsprings from their barrels, for the water from your previous treatment will be retained in the mainspring and ultimately rust everything solid.

Chris Nimon of Horolovar once suggested to me that a treatment with Renaissance Wax is a good alternative to re-lacquering. He further recommends that the wax be left to harden for at least ten minutes after applying it instead of the 'instant' suggested on the can. I've found that a longer dry time--I've left it overnight at times--renders the wax rather hard and gummy and thus more difficult to polish, but that the final results are exceptionally satisfying. I've been doing this with anniversary clocks, weights, bezels, and pendulum bobs ever since, for old lacquer tends to become yellow and dull. Thus the procedure is:

Dip in lacquer thinner, polish with Simichrome, admire the polished finish, rub Renaissance Wax all over the thing to make it look ugly again, let it dry overnight or so to let it get even uglier, and finally polish.everything with paper towels.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect that any good paste wax (Johnson's, here in the US) would work just as well.

Mark Kinsler

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #7 Willie X, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Yes, 30 minutes is about five times too long. There are many post in the last few years where repairers are recommending a long US cycle at elevated temps. This is not necessary or desirable for many reasons. Your looking at one of them.

Try a 6 minute cycle at room temperature. Your US and your cleaning solution will last much longer, two more good reasons.

Long ago, the honorable John Loach wrote a good article on the use of an US machine in clock work. I'm wondering if someone might be able to dig that artical up and publish it on this list? John's instructions could help to correct some of the misinformation that's floating around lately.

WIllie X

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like a little longer us cycle, but I don't put lacquered plates in the us at all. I just clean them up with Dawn dishwash soap and a toothbrush.

9. Dells

Dells Registered User

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all replies
    First I did strip the clock down second I didn’t put front and backplate in US third I didn’t put the mainspring or barrel in as I am still waiting for a spring winder, I just put the Koma torsion clock back together for practice as it was a free clock and I am only learning, the only wheel with white on is the hour wheel, see better picture .
    Lastly I did what the cleaning solution manufacturer said to do but in future I will do suggestions above.
    Many thanks dell 61F48650-2C82-40BB-90EF-6387D6CB9B1B.jpeg

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks for the somewhat clearer picture and for telling us what the clock is - now we at least know what we are looking at.

Did you try cleaning the wheel to remove the whiteness? It does look as if it is lacquer that has been partly removed but if so, you could clean it up quite nicely (and easily) by hand. At the moment it doesn't look as though any attempt was made to polish it up, but of course pictures can be deceiving and that may not be the case.

JTD

11. Dells

Dells Registered User

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I haven’t tried cleaning it yet , I will dip it in standard thinner to see if it is lacquer and I can always Re lacquer it as I am a coach builder by trade.
    Dell

12. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps the wheel isn't brass at all?

RC

13. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's not clear if that hour wheel is plain stamped steel or perhaps a die-cast zinc alloy, but it sure doesn't look like brass. The ultrasonic cleaning machine took the manufacturer's paint off, which usually happens with any painted parts. The best-looking treatment might be to remove the wheel, remove the rest of the paint, and then polish that wheel to gleaming silver steeliness. Wax it to prevent rust and then re-polish.

M Kinsler

14. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My guess would be aluminum. Aluminum will corrode in alkaline cleaners.

Uhralt

15. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aluminum, yes. It shows up in electric clocks, both in wheels and movement plates. I'm still researching anodizing, which you can apparently do at home.

M Kinsler

16. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Black lacquer on wheel, done peeled off.

Is what I think.

17. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I've used Rust-o-lium hammertone gold rattle can paint. Looks pretty good on steel plates but a little too new looking for my taste. :)

WIllie X

18. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I strongly favor the Rust-o-leum or Krylon gray hammertone paint for electronic equipment of a certain age to compliment shiny black bakelite control knobs and glass-jeweled pilot lights. I believe that someone has built computer cases re-styled in this manner.

19. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm seeing the same thing. A different material for that wheel, and it was colored to look like brass.

20. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tend towards a longer cycle, 20 minutes or so, and use Polychem DeOx 007. I will put the parts in the US the same time I start the heater and by the end of cleaning the water is warm but not hot. I am getting very good results.
    Ron

Kevin W. likes this.
  21. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My little ol HF ultrasonic has a max run period, with or without heat, of 8 minutes before the timer runs down. I usually regard an 8-minute cycle as enough. Occasionally I'll give it a second run, but not often. Why beat a cured horse?:)

22. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I, on the other hand, have always boiled the parts in the ultrasonic until tender. From out of the steam emerge the shiniest examples of horological cookery you could imagine. Very satisfying, and I remove the lacquer from plates anyway.

M Kinsler

bangster likes this.