Brass French Clock

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
I'm looking for any information on the age and if the entire clock and side pieces were originally gold gilt. If they were I'll have a lot of plating to do. It's a count wheel, bell strike, round movement with no makers mark, suspension spring, (not silk thread) glass back door. The bottoms of the side pieces still have the gilt.
Thanks,
Mark
P5230017.JPG P5230021.JPG P5230019.JPG P5230020.JPG
P5230022.JPG

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
If there is any gilding left, then yes it would have originally been gilded. People love to polish things, and brass polish can cut through thin gold plating in no time, leaving the base metal. But the polish doesn’t get into the dips and crevices, so the gold survives there longer... doesn’t mean you have to re plate, you could simply polish and lacquer the brass if you like it like that.

But are you sure this is brass and not spelter?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
But are you sure this is brass and not spelter?
I am wondering about that too.

But whether it is brass or spelter, you could restore the gilded look by using Rub'n'Buff or other similar products.

JTD

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
It's all brass and very solid. I'll be replating the clock and side pieces. The hard part is the preparation, the plating is easy.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
It's all brass and very solid. I'll be replating the clock and side pieces. The hard part is the preparation, the plating is easy.
Just be aware that electroplating will produce quite a different finish than the original fire gilding using a gold amalgam. Many people don't like the too shiny finish of the electroplating.

Uhralt

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
i'm pretty sure the original finish was put on with a process that uses hot mercury. it isn't in practice today because of environmental and health issues

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Just be aware that electroplating will produce quite a different finish than the original fire gilding using a gold amalgam. Many people don't like the too shiny finish of the electroplating.
Uhralt is right. Plating (which will be expensive) will not produce a finish anything like the original. That is why I suggested using a hand-applied finish.

JTD

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Brian,

it isn't in practice today because of environmental and health issues
There are still a few people doing mercury gilding. There's Dirk Meyer in Germany, and I believe there are some in the US, all taking proper precautions to protect themselves and the environment from the poisonous mercury vapour. As you'd expect, all very expensive!

Regards,

Graham

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
I do my own plating so cost isn't an issue. I haven't heard of Rub'n'Buff so I'll check that out and try it.
Thanks,
Mark

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
I have used rub-n-buff on several projects and found it worked well. You can see photos and tips in a few of my posts. Search for rub-n-buff and posted by me. Use - not '.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morbier
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent