Brand new to collecting, hoping for some tips. Elgin Grade 290 movement

energyguru

Mar 30, 2021
Country
Hi all,
I have a movement without a case that seems to be complete but cannot determine if it will wind, if it's worth finding a case.
Hunter movement, 7J, Elgin Pocket Watch: Serial Number 11962163 (Grade 290)

Taking a small piece of square stock when I attempt to wind this movement the only result is adjustment of the time, so I'm not sure if I'm understanding how to wind this movement to see if it runs well or not.

There is a small lever at the side of the case, near the 5:00 location, but moving this lever has no impact.

Any advice in how to wind this would be much appreciated, also how does one go about finding a case with stem for this timepiece if it turns out to be working well?

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC forum

I'm going to move your watch to the watch repair section where
people can give you some tips.

Rob

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
If you push the square piece further in you might be able to engage the winding works. I think finding a 16s hunting case for this particular movement would not be cost effective.. Either put it in a plastic movement holder, or case it in a 16s O.F. silveroid case as a sidewinder, to protect it.

Reactions: energyguru

energyguru

Mar 30, 2021
Country
Dear 179, it doesn't seem to work to try to push in with the square piece of stock I have.
I'm attaching two images, one is the square socket location that would attach to the stem, the other is the small lever that seems not to have any purpose. It's possible that the movement is broken or has a broken part. When I shake the watch I do hear a bit of a rattle. That's a little worrisome.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 9.54.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 9.54.11 AM.png

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
The small lever is supposed to put the watch into winding mode when it's outside of its case, allowing the lever to stick out that. It does seem like something's broken if that's not happening. Sometimes it's not something broken, it's just something a service (clean and oil) will fix. Old oil often turns to glue.

energyguru

Mar 30, 2021
Country
Hi Chris,
The little lever is floppy; I would expect it to be spring loaded or less "loose" feeling. Maybe this is an indication of something wrong internally.

Marv

NAWCC Member
Jan 29, 2021
Country
You should be able to slide the lever fully in until it stops, then try winding.

If that doesn't work, something is amiss with the watch. It would be an excellent candidate for learning how to repair watches, if that interests you, but the tools get a little expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fed1984
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre