Braille Wrist Watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by THTanner, Apr 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Not sure what they mean by 'finally' - Braille watches have been available for many, many years.

Then came quartz ones which could speak to you instead of you having to read the dial with your fingers and now we have an electronic one with its moving dots.

But it's not a new idea - just a modernised version of an old one.

JTD

novicetimekeeper likes this.
  3. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This watch (The Bradley) has been out for several years now and is not only for vision impaired persons but those that just like neat watches.

The Bradley cpd.JPG The Bradley back.JPG

4. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    My blind acquaintance uses a watch with two hands and a flip-up bezel/crystal. He flips up the lid and feels the hands, which are more stout than typical hands.

I can't imagine why someone would design a watch for the blind that syncs with a smart phone over bluetooth to get the time, instead of, you know, just letting you set it and then keeping time. Smart phones (touch screens) have got to be the worst possible user interface for a blind person.

But then I don't understand why most "smart" devices are designed the way they are.

novicetimekeeper likes this.
  5. Nookster

Nookster Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member Sponsor

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    or if you want a vintage one.

6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although not a wristwatch, this one is vintage. I didn't get to see the movement on this one, but the dial definitely appears to have been used. As Chris said of his friend's watch, the hands seem to be more durable than normally found on a pocket watch.

DSC00575.JPG

7. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hands are stouter, yes. In the half-dozen I've done for people the upper end of the canon pinions have been drilled out and tapped for a retaining screw, too, so the hands don't come loose. The normal canon pinion for the non-Braille versions of the movements have solid tips. They've all been danged nice movements and keep excellent time. Maxi still sells them. The people who depend on them really like the simplicity and the stealthy time-telling they provide. All three of them have touch-screen smartphones and use the voice interface to do things, but none of them uses the phone to tell the time. I don't know if they're oddballs in the blind community (well, actually, they're all danged oddballs, but that's another story), but that's how they tell time. One of the gals has a quartz version of the ladies' Braille watch, but she doesn't like it. The added drag of fondling the hands goes through batteries like there's no tomorrow, so she really prefers the mechanical movements.

Glen

8. Nookster

Nookster Registered User

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a vintage one.

Blind Man Tonneau.JPG

PatH likes this.
  9. michael-35

michael-35 Registered User

May 4, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi Nookster, do you have mor info of this hamilton or early Braille wristwatches?

10. Nookster

Nookster Registered User

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know much about this watch, I bought it on Ebay 15-20 years ago. Don't know much a\bout it. I would guess custom made by owner.