Bracket Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by DeanT, Mar 9, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bracket clock signed by Matthew Hill, Devonshire Street, London. He is listed as working 1744 to 1790. According to Baillie in 1777 he moved from Devonshire Street to Upper Charlotte St. Given the dial is signed Devonshire Street the clock was made in the 3rd qtr of 18thC. Has two subsidiary dials, one for strike/silent and the other for regulation. Movement has verge escapement and an interesting swivelling pendulum catch. Case and movement both need a good clean and polish but otherwise are in good condition.

Hill 009.JPG Hill 005.JPG Hill 002.JPG Hill 006.JPG Hill 003.JPG

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really lovely bracket clock Dean with engraved back plate and even the mounts are engraved. Good to see it wasn't converted to an anchor like many were. What are the dimensions?

3. svenedin

svenedin Registered User

Jan 28, 2010
    Male
    Doctor of Medicine (Military)
    Surrey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice indeed. What a superb acquisition. Lucky you!!

4. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Its about normal bracket clock size at 47cm high, 28cm wide, 19cm deep. Arch dial is 7" wide by 10" high. I've managed to get some better resolution photos loaded. I might replace the brass sides with glass after I have a better look at the case to see what was originally present. Veneers are a little dry and some need reglueing but they all present.

176984lg.jpg 176984_02lg.jpg

5. svenedin

svenedin Registered User

Jan 28, 2010
    Male
    Doctor of Medicine (Military)
    Surrey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 svenedin, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    I think fretted brass with material (usually silk) behind is original. Some gentle cleaning and some high quality beeswax polish will have that looking fantastic.

6. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Restored Mathew Hill bracket clock. Just not the original one for this post. Somehow I ended up with another one which is a little earlier but similar.

Front.jpg backafter.jpg frontafter.jpg graffitti3.jpg movementafter.jpg sideafter.jpg topafter.jpg topafter2.jpg topbefore.jpg

PatH and D.th.munroe like this.
  7. daveR

daveR Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not the original one ??
    Still looks great though.
    Funny how these clocks just seem to accumulate...
    David

8. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A matching pair. I’ve got the world’s largest and only collection of Mathew Hill bracket clocks.

9. daveR

daveR Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what, he only made two, or no one else yet sees the value in them to collect. They seem pretty good to me!

10. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is one in a national trust house and there was another one for sale so I’ve only seen 4 in total. Not many considering he was working for quite a long time. They are good quality pieces which makes the limited numbers even more surprising.

11. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One very interesting thing is the holdfast. we couldn't get it to line up with the pendulum, it just seems all wrong. We were questioning its originality I think one like this would have worked. One of the clocks that came out to australia in that crate had a holdfast like this swivel one but it may have been Zedrics, or could be the hayley & Milner. I think they use these when they need to stick out a long way to engage the pendulum and would be in the way when the clock was running. Something similar would be more suited to your new one.

12. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He liked fancy hold fasts. The other one rotates for the holding position and is engraved on the top which shows in the downward position. The knob twists to hold the pendulum in a slot. Definite overkill.

4C42A557-7838-423F-A1DE-311B3F3A82A7.jpeg 67AA8B15-88A1-4E46-A724-C2A1D571E499.jpeg