Bowler & Burdick crystal regulator

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
This a my latest acquisition. I'd been wanting any crystal regulator clock since I first saw one, so now I can cross that off my wish list. It has polish residue everywhere so I'll have to shine it up. Works good though.

Eric

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
This a my latest acquisition. I'd been wanting any crystal regulator clock since I first saw one, so now I can cross that off my wish list. It has polish residue everywhere so I'll have to shine it up. Works good though.

Eric
Eric, very nice example, B&B listed this clock in their catalog as the Crystal "A" model. Yours has the JUF version of Plate 1471 that I classify as Plate 1471J. Note the JUF click layout that is identical to Plate 1595 and others, compared to the Huber click layout illustrated in Plate 1471H (the "H" is for Huber).

The presence of the "Anniversary Trade Mark Registered" on the dial shows this clock could not have been made before December 1901 when B&B were granted the registration. The Patent Angemeldet Patents Applied stamp was used until February 1904 when Huber was granted the US Patent for his twin loop temperature compensating pendulum, at which time the stamp changed to DRP 144688 plus the US Patent. That brackets the +/- two year time period in which the clock was made.

You've got a big polishing job ahead!

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
John,

Thanks for the information. You wouldn't happen have a scan of that catalog page would you?

I touched a small spot on the back of the base with some simichrome and it brightened right up. The bezel has a green haze at the top. I tried to brush it off with a stiff nylon brush but I don't think it made any difference. Any suggestions?

The pendulum had some extra parts added to it. The spacer between the hook and top disc was a chunk of brass pipe. Underneath it had an extra ring of lead and a cover plate added in addition to the typical small steel disc with a rim. All the extras have been removed, I thinned the suspension, and the clock is running just a bit slow but well inside its adjustment range.

The adjusting weights are marked "F S" and "S F" as appropriate as opposed to "R A" and "A R" like every other pendulum 21 I own. Is this typical of JUF clocks with pend 21?

The case has all the major parts stamped 276.

Eric

Last edited:

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Eric, thanks for the additional info about your clock. It's amazing how many times I find disc pendulums with all sort of add-ons that somebody put there instead of working with the suspension spring. Admittedly there wasn't much of a selection 100 years ago but then as even now too many folks didn't understand how they worked or how to make proper adjustments.

The catalog info is rather sparse, I'm attaching a scan of that page for you:

B&B Crystal A.JPG This is truly a "bare bones" description of the clock with almost no mention of the type of information we now look to for dating and provenance. The only thing of particular detail is that it does appear to have pendulum No. 21.

Regarding your question of JUF's practice for "F S" and "S"F" versus "R A" and "A"R" for pendulum No. 21, actually I have to confess I haven't really noticed. Now you've got me off to chase another parameter!!

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Thanks John.

What the page does say is "Gilded Brass Frame", so I'm thinking the original finish of the clock should look like this one rather than highly polished brass:

https://mb.nawcc.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=270362&d=1439506459 (Wurth 10669 from a prior post):

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php...iversary-Clock&p=973023&viewfull=1#post973023

The appearance of the bezel is like what I've seen on gilded French clocks. It certainly isn't a natural brass finish.

Hopefully I'll find some original finish left in the protected areas, when I take the case apart, to all confirm this. I doubt I'll do more than polish it anyway. From what I've read once that finish is gone, it's gone.

I don't know if there were other models, but the catalog picture does not match my clock. My case is 11" by 7" and the chapter ring of the dial is only 3 1/4" (not sure where they measured from). The catalog picture shows fairly sharp corners on the base and top where mine have large radii. The cutout at the bottom of the case in the catalog is stepped where mine is not. The pendulum shown has no screws visible in the gallery which makes it more like the B&B pendulums used with Wurth clocks rather than pendulum 21.

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region

Attachments

Last edited:

Orlando

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2020
Country

Eric
Eric,

Did you ever finish cleaning this clock? I would love to see the result. I just purchased a twin of it and would like to see how yours looks.

/r
Orlando

Orlando

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2020
Country
As mentioned here is my newest estate find collection piece. Someone did a number with it trying to "clean" it. I do believe it is the B&B Crystal "A" model John Hubby pointed out. I will hopefully post pics after I've cleaned and serviced it.

20220518_165224.jpg 20220518_165232.jpg 20220518_165240.jpg 20220518_165337.jpg 20220518_165403.jpg 20220519_095205.jpg

Reactions: etmb61

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Eric,

Did you ever finish cleaning this clock? I would love to see the result. I just purchased a twin of it and would like to see how yours looks.

/r
Orlando
That one is still mostly in the condition as I received it. I set it aside because I wanted to deal with the bezel first. Once I get that sorted out I'll polish up the rest. The clock works now. I'll get to it eventually.

Eric

Reactions: Orlando

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I'll have a crystal regulator some day. I was shopping for one, but I need to pay for the last 3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phred01
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner