Bow

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Curt Lefferts, Sep 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Curt Lefferts

Curt Lefferts clefferts.net
    NAWCC Member

May 10, 2016
    Male
    Addison, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am in need of a bow for a set of Turns. Does anyone know of a source?

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    for my education - what is this "bow" and what are "a set of turns" ?? I am not familiar with this terminology

3. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I made a bow for my Jacot tool, just a conveniently sized piece of rod bent into a bow shape, with a stout thread from the sewing machine box. I think it was Nylon, meant for buttons etc. I tried various things including dental floss (it breaks up). I'm pretty happy with the thread.

I suppose turns might need a stronger bow, but still I bet it might be a thing you make instead of buy?

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi TH,

The 'turns' is a dead-centre lathe, which was the predecessor of all powered lathes, and it was powered by a bow acting on a driver pulley, either clamped to the work piece or as in the pictures below, a loose pulley with a driving pin. Later they were also driven with a hand-wheel or foot treadle. It still has its uses, especially for turning balance staffs and other items which have be perfectly concentric, because you can take the work out to measure or check it and put it back umpteen times and still maintain concentricity, which isn't guaranteed when using collets.

The larger sizes for clock work were known as 'throws'.

Turns 2.JPG Turns 4 - Copy.JPG Turns_Pulley_1.JPG

Curt will probably have to make a bow himself; I use some stiff steel wire with fine fishing line for the string. Hair from a horse's tail used to be used, but I found it rather fragile when I tried it.

Regards,

Graham

musicguy and THTanner like this.
  5. Curt Lefferts

NAWCC Member

May 10, 2016
    Male
    Addison, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A set of Turns is a manual driven watchmakers lathe. It is used in very fine hand work in which the feel or touch is important. It is driven by a bow. The bow is an arched frame that carries a string that is used in one hand to provide power to the lathe.

THTanner likes this.
  6. Curt Lefferts

NAWCC Member

May 10, 2016
    Male
    Addison, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the assist Grahm - well said. I do not have a set of throws. Dave from Daves Watch Parts actually had a bow for me

7. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks so much Gmorse -

I figured that the bow was as described, but had never heard of the "pulleys" being called "turns". I have an old unmounted hand drill that is bow driven. Now I know what the proper term for the "pulley" is.

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi TH,

The whole lathe is called the 'turns', the pulley is just a pulley, (although of course it turns!). I know it may jar grammatically to call it 'a turns' . . .

Regards,

Graham

THTanner likes this.