Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 book ?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Apr 27, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man Registered User
    Donor

Jan 25, 2012
    manager
    southern MN
    Country Flag:
    It's a Caravelle ( maybe a cheap enough movement that it doesn't render mention in the book ?? ) nice running & looking 17 jewel mechanical movement...

tried looking through the Bulova section & couldn't even find anything that looked like it... any ideas ??

love the watch right now, even if it's not collectable... ( I've since added a Black padded leather, extra long, quality watch band, & it may be my new favorite )... at least until the next one comes along... ;)

Bulova skeleton 17 jewel mechanical.jpg

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo

It would appear that the level of interest in a particular watch or type of watch in the collectible community may have some influence on whether it appears in collector guides. Maybe in 30 years or so, it's turn will come up.

3. Magnum Wheel Man

Donor

Jan 25, 2012
    manager
    southern MN
    Country Flag:
    Re: Bought this Bulova "skeleton" watch a while back... not finding it in the 2012 bo

Thanks for the reply...

I figured there must not be much intrest as long as it took to get any response... I think it's a nice looking watch... & no comments on it ( maybe because it's a Caravelle ?? )

anyway I'd like to learn more about it... anywhere I could look to find any info on it ??

4. Roland Ranfft

Roland Ranfft Registered User

Feb 10, 2011
    electronic engineering, software
    Wildenrath, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi there,

at the first glance I thought: Well, one of those many skeletonized Peseux movements dropped into the 90s. But then the strange position of the balance and the rare design of the train (like e.g. in movements from Revue or Rolex) made me curious.

The movement is an Amida 715. Amida was well known for cheap pin levers, and precisely into the quartz crisis they placed their first quality movement - no good reason for business success. So already a standard version of this movement is rare, and what should one think about a gold plated skeleton? I guess it became effordable for Bulova when Amida went dow the creek.

Maybe, it looks like many others, but in fact it is a rarity.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

5. Magnum Wheel Man

Donor

Jan 25, 2012
    manager
    southern MN
    Country Flag:

cool... I know I hadn't seen another like it... will keep trying to do more digging... thanks for the info...

6. D Magner

D Magner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 27, 2004
    toolmaker and watchmaker
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hello.
    Here is a skeleton Bulova with the original lizard strap. I have the box and paperwork also. This is a different movement than the Caravelle pictured [don't know what movement it is] and doesn't have the sweep seconds hand. Gold tone from the early 90s.
    David

Attached Files:

7. Magnum Wheel Man

Donor

Jan 25, 2012
    manager
    southern MN
    Country Flag:

that's also a nice looking watch... I bought mine assuming it wasn't worth much, but I like how it looks... yours looks every bit as nice...

8. Roland Ranfft

Roland Ranfft Registered User

Feb 10, 2011
    electronic engineering, software
    Wildenrath, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi David,

That's what I'd expect in a Caravelle, since these are often equipped with Citizen movements. It is es sceletonized Citizen 8260A:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&ae&2uswk&Citizen_8260A

Regards, Roland Ranfft

9. D Magner

D Magner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 27, 2004
    toolmaker and watchmaker
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Roland,
    Thanks for that information!
    David