Borel and Courvoisier, Neuchatel movement.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Omexa, Sep 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #1 Omexa, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Hi, I have a new Policy (again) I have too many Pocket Watches and movements that are missing parts or not going or pulled apart; my new Policy is to get going at least 1 or maybe 2 Pocket Watches or movements each week. This is the first. It runs after I put a new Mainspring in it. It has a small bit broken off the surround over the Key Wind part. The Set Square is broken off but I have a few of these somewhere; the main thing is that it is now running strongly; Gold Case missing. Regards Ray http://www.ernestborel.ch/en/brand_history/ View attachment 356090 View attachment 356091 View attachment 356092 View attachment 356093 View attachment 356093

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    I have a similar, but later, movement. Serial number 50970. Is yours a small 36mm movement, Ray?

3. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Dave, no it is a Monster at 47.31mm's across the Dial. I can understand almost why the Gold Case was scrapped, it must have weighed heaps. It is very well made. Regards Ray

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    That is a similar policy that I went through a while back. At some point, it's good to look at how many watches we have in various states of disassembly. My situation became evident when I couldn't find another good container for parts of a recent victim. If we don't put them back together, we may end up being the last ones that saw them alive (complete anyway). That longer they stay apart, the more likely it becomes that parts will be lost, and movements will be relegated to the parts pile. If they could be fixed relatively easily, this may be a bad waste and abuse of history. Even if they can't be fixed, putting them back together goes a long way towards saving them so that someone in the future can revive them. Perhaps even by ourselves, just at a later time. Good on ya' for getting to getting the jobs done.

I've always liked those Borel and Courvoisier movements. They, the Jacot-made, and Saltzman, can be quite beautiful. I've got a broken Jacot in my work-in-process pile as I type. Perhaps I'll get to it after I fix my Hamilton chronometer? Cheers.