Books or long Essays on Hairspring REPAIR ,bending and manipulation,not so much overc

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by davestanda, Jan 15, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. davestanda

davestanda Registered User

May 23, 2011
    Not so much on overcoiling ,because most repair books deal with that more then actual repair of a hairspring that was damaged....I know alot of the bends in overcoiling and colleting are the same but that still doesn't deal with repair...Also with what i just mentioned ,that is exact movements and rules to complete...I am looking for different tools ,such as i was told about shaping old oilers and using them ,instead of tweezers, i would like to read and see some of those techniques ,ways to bend updown , making the right curves,etc etc, etc......Any titles i would be extremely grateful for....

2. Kevin Scott

Kevin Scott Registered User

Aug 2, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Re: Books or long Essays on Hairspring REPAIR ,bending and manipulation,not so much o

Dave, checked my card file, says;

War dept manual, 1945, has good charts diagrams.
    Chicago school of watchmaking, lessons 18,19,20. Very good.
    Perkins series, horological Times,
    book by Rugole, printed by AWI, "Watch Adjustments"
    Practical Balance and Hairspring Work, by Walter Kleinlein. Avery good book, reprinted so you can find new copies under $25.

I suggest getting the Chicago School first. Lots of good instruction. Then the Kleinlein book. Not real impressed with the War Dept book, but buy it if cheap, under $15.

3. davestanda

May 23, 2011
    Re: Books or long Essays on Hairspring REPAIR ,bending and manipulation,not so much o

i HAVE THE kLEINLEIN BOOK, I WASN'T REALLY IMPRESSED EITHER...i'LL CHECK OUT THOSE OTHER TITLES...

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

De Carle has a good section on the methods to make overcoils.

If you want to find the right shapes, take a look at Practical Watch Adjustment by Theo Gribi. It has lots of figures of various overcoil shapes. The book is rare and original hard copies are costly but it is available as a free download. Gribi has a lot of really good material but if you just want to do the repair look at DeCarle on Practical Watch Repair tells you haw to do it and Gribi gives the shapes.

5. davestanda

May 23, 2011

I was looking more for Bending and repairing techniques,but thanks for the list...

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

deCarle has the bending and repair techniques.