Books on clock construction

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by karlmansson, Oct 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Hello!

I'm gearing up for buildning my first Clock. It will be based on an existing gear train but the arrangement will be different and I will also make a new escapement for it. I'm looking for a resource in book form to help me along the way. I understand that for watches, Archie Perkins books are considered more or less a one stop shop for most techniques. Is there anything similar to his "Antique Watch Restoration" books but for Clocks?

I'm looking for something that is comprehensive in gear cutting, escapement Construction and architecture of spring and weight driven Clocks.

Best regards
    Karl

2. Phil Burman

Phil Burman Registered User

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    For 1 and 2 have a look at::

Wheel and Pinion Cutting in Horology - by J Malcolm Wild
    Clock and watch escapements - by W J Gazeley

3. Raynerd

Raynerd Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Teacher of Chemistry
    Manchester - UK
    Country Flag:
    Karl,
    Wheel and Pinion Cutting in Horology is a good resource. It’s quite a big book and found only the new modern discussion techniques were practically useful and the rest of the book interesting.

I would definitely recommend Colin Thornes - Clock Making for the Model Engineer. I very rarely hear people talk about it and it is a cracking book! I can see from your post count that you are clearly experienced with clocks, but this book really shows modern methods for various aspects on clock making from scratch. I think you will struggle to find a “one stop shop” book but for me it’s as close as it comes for me. The only thing it is missing are some of the theoretical discussion on escapement and clock trains that the older books provide. I now have a wide collection of books and I would pick this as a first for practical methods. The John Wilding series area also great for tips and tricks for certain aspects but I admit, you wouldn’t want to buy these unless you were building a collection or trying to one of his clocks.

Good luck.

4. Paul Madden

Paul Madden Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Male
    Bienne, Switzerland
    Country Flag:
    Hi Karl,

Its very exciting to hear you are planning to build your first clock!
    I'm also are in the process of building a library of clock making books, and I could add a few more titles. I agree with Raynerd, I don't think there is a "one-stop shop" for clockmaking, but by reading several books you should be able to extract more knowledge as a result.

Here are few titles that might be worthwhile investigating. I bought all of my books through either Amazon or Abe books:

1) Practical Clock Escapements by Laurie Penman
    2) Clock Design and Construction by Laurie Penman
    3) The Clock & Watch Makers Guide to Gear Making by Robert D. Porter
    4) The Science of Clocks and Watches by A.L. Rawlings

Two other books which are mainly about repairing, but also have some interesting content relative to making are:

1) Watch and Clock Making and Repairing by W.J. Gazeley
    2) Practical Clock Repairing by Donald De Carle

I hope this helps Karl, and good luck with your first project!

Paul.

5. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for all your suggestions! I appreciate them a lot.

I expected that it was a bit much to hope for everything to be covered in a good way in a single title but it was worth a shot. I'll have to put the books you have suggested on my wishlist for now as I plan to get Perkins' books first.

I'll keep you posted on the progress of the clock! Thanks for your interest! :)

Best regards
    Karl

6. Hessel Oosten

Hessel Oosten Registered User

Apr 26, 2017
    And don't forget all links Chris Raynerd (above) collected here:

Link

Hessel

7. ernienoa

ernienoa Registered User

May 3, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Try Steven G Conover (Building an American Clock Movement). His plans took me step by step to make each part. I was able to build this clock with no clock repairing or making experience.

IMG_8923.JPG Clock plate cut out.JPG

karlmansson likes this.
  8. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    London
    Country Flag:
    I have found Allan Timmins's book Making an eight day long case clock to be very helpful, even though I have not been following his design fully. John Wilding's books on constructing specific types of clocks are also good. All are profusely illustrated and show how things are done, step by step, in a home workshop.