Books on Calendar Clocks, esp Fashion

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by hoopop, Apr 19, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hoopop

hoopop New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    retired
    Mt Pleasant, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I am new to the site and to horology. I have a Fashion #5 in very good condition with the exception of the end of month movement to the next month...will not move the month cylinder forward. Date, Day works fine.

I am going to purchase a couple of books to just get my feet wet...am considering "Calendar Clocks" by Tran du Ly and one of the Steve Conover books. But, I would like to find the best that deals with the calendar functions of the Fashion clocks. Does anyone have a recommendation. Thanks much. don

2. ChuckR

ChuckR Registered User

Dec 6, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    S.E. Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hoopop,
    First--Welcome to the message board, I may be wrong but I think Tran Du Ly book is a collection of all types of calender clocks with info on each. Steve Conover is a book on actual repairs and how to book, I think this is the one you will want to buy first. If I am wrong, some one will correct me and make a better suggestion. Hope this helps.

Chuck

3. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If your calendar clock interest is mainly "Fashion" clocks Tran Duy Ly's Seth Thomas Clocks & Movements, Third Edition,Vol 1, Arlington Books 2004 will be of interest to you.

The majority of these movements (Nos 1-8) were made by Seth Thomas for the Southern Calendar Clock Co, St. Louis, Mo.

There is a parts break down for the calendar and text describing how the calendar works as well as other information and photos of Fashion clocks.

Best,

Richard T.