Books from Overseas

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Charles E. Davis, Mar 23, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Charles E. Davis

Charles E. Davis Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Nov 6, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Buying books from overseas.
    I recently signed up with Amazon-Japan and was able to buy a book that is unavailable in the US. This was only done a day or so ago so I won’t know how successful the purchase was.
    The book has been on sale on E-Bay, buy it now, for $95.00 plus $25.00 shipping airmail from Japan. Buying direct I got it for less than 30.00 with almost half of that for shipping!
    I had asked a contact in Japan to buy it for me and I would reimburse him. His wife, who is more comfortable in Japanese, said I should do it. She buys book on both Japan and US Amazons and said I shouldn’t have any trouble setting up an account. I can’t say it was easy, but with the help of a translation program on my computer, I was able to jump through all of the hurdles of setting up an account and finding the book and completing the sale.
    I would like to buy the book Duck has been writing about that has the German clock information. I guess the best approach is to use the phone and hope the person answering can speak English. Thank goodness for credit cards (and PayPal)!
    I would be interesting in hearing other experiences about buying books overseas, especially suggestions for an English speaker only..

2. Charles E. Davis

Charles E. Davis Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Nov 6, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Buying books from overseas.
    I recently signed up with Amazon-Japan and was able to buy a book that is unavailable in the US. This was only done a day or so ago so I won’t know how successful the purchase was.
    The book has been on sale on E-Bay, buy it now, for $95.00 plus $25.00 shipping airmail from Japan. Buying direct I got it for less than 30.00 with almost half of that for shipping!
    I had asked a contact in Japan to buy it for me and I would reimburse him. His wife, who is more comfortable in Japanese, said I should do it. She buys book on both Japan and US Amazons and said I shouldn’t have any trouble setting up an account. I can’t say it was easy, but with the help of a translation program on my computer, I was able to jump through all of the hurdles of setting up an account and finding the book and completing the sale.
    I would like to buy the book Duck has been writing about that has the German clock information. I guess the best approach is to use the phone and hope the person answering can speak English. Thank goodness for credit cards (and PayPal)!
    I would be interesting in hearing other experiences about buying books overseas, especially suggestions for an English speaker only..

3. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    More than half the horological books I buy are from overseas. Postage is expensive but many many titles are plain not available in the USA.

Amazon.co.uk and amazon.de are great, also ebay.de, ebay.co.uk, ebay.it have provided fertrile hunting ground. Will have to try amazon.jp some day.

Fortunat

4. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Living in Australia almost everything I buy comes from overseas, mainly England and USA. I have never had a problem.

I think I have only used Amazon once or twice, but a lot depends on what type of books you are after. Most of my purchases are from using ABE (http://dogbert.abebooks.com/) and Addall (http://www.addall.com/Used/).

Years ago Ebay was a good source of books, but more recently it has declined to the point that there is almost nothing and what there is offered is often grossly overpriced. It seems that Ebay has become much more oriented towards unscrupulous dealers preying on ignorant novices. Your experience is a good example.