Book-Review (short): Daniels, George; Watchmaking

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, Nov 20, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member Donor

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although I wrote this short review for Amazon.com 4 yerars ago, when the book was republished, and before the Message Board was created, it may still be of interest.

5 out of 5 stars.

A step by step account by the most creative Watchmaker alive

Reviewed: April 2, 1999
    Reviewer: Fortunat Mueller-Maerki from Sussex, NJ United States

George Daniels, residing on the Isle of Man, (UK) is not only one of a handfull of people alive today who regularly make one-of-a-kind watches completly from strach by themselves (including dial, case, movement, hands etc), but he unquestionably is the most creative of the few who are truely "watchmakers" (rather than watch repaireres or workers in a watch factory.

The republishing of "Watchmaking", after it has been out of print for many years must be one of the outstanding events of this year in horological book publishing. Every serious watch collector around the world, who had been lusting for his own copy after seeing copies of older watchcollecting friends can now aford to buy his or her own copy, rather than pay the outrageous prices at antiquarian booksellers.

The book is undoubtedly the most important volume in currently in print (was promised for Jan 1999, finally first copies delivered in April 1999)for horologists and enthusiasts about craftsman made watches anywhere.

A "must" for anybody interested in watchmaking techniques and watchmaking technology.

Fortunat F. Mueller-Maerki, pob 386, Sussex NJ 07461

NAWCC Life # 174
    Chair, NWCM Library and Research Center Committee

You can reach me at horology@horology.com

2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Review (short): Daniels, George; Watchmaking

Although I wrote this short review for Amazon.com 4 yerars ago, when the book was republished, and before the Message Board was created, it may still be of interest.

5 out of 5 stars.

A step by step account by the most creative Watchmaker alive

Reviewed: April 2, 1999
    Reviewer: Fortunat Mueller-Maerki from Sussex, NJ United States

George Daniels, residing on the Isle of Man, (UK) is not only one of a handfull of people alive today who regularly make one-of-a-kind watches completly from strach by themselves (including dial, case, movement, hands etc), but he unquestionably is the most creative of the few who are truely "watchmakers" (rather than watch repaireres or workers in a watch factory.

The republishing of "Watchmaking", after it has been out of print for many years must be one of the outstanding events of this year in horological book publishing. Every serious watch collector around the world, who had been lusting for his own copy after seeing copies of older watchcollecting friends can now aford to buy his or her own copy, rather than pay the outrageous prices at antiquarian booksellers.

The book is undoubtedly the most important volume in currently in print (was promised for Jan 1999, finally first copies delivered in April 1999)for horologists and enthusiasts about craftsman made watches anywhere.

A "must" for anybody interested in watchmaking techniques and watchmaking technology.

NAWCC Life # 174

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yea verily. Lots of new material especially on the coaxial. Even if you own the original its still worth having the second edition.

Dr. Jon

4. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User

Aug 24, 2000
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

FMM,

Could you pleased enlighten me on what the outrageous prices are for an original?

Thanks.

Jon

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
    Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early American Watch Club

5. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Appearently the 1999 edition is now out of print as well (according to amazon.com). When published the US price at amazon.com was $120, and amazon now carries used copies starting at $145.

NAWCC Life # 174

6. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thank you.

However, I see these regularly from $75.00 up depending on the condition and the seller!

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801

7. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

8. Review (short): Daniels, George; Watchmaking

Thanks to Fortunat, Jon H, and the moderator for this informative suject and posts, replies.

I am not interested in doing watchmaking but this book has been on my want list because of the great George Daniels and the information contained therein.

I like books for knowledge and I think that any advice or assistance to help acquire knowledge is important. The tips for acquiring this WATCHMAKING book is one thing that makes this message board such a great tool.

Charles

Charles Isham

9. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Just Wondering, I don't mean to split hairs, but it's my belief that the restriction is on timepiece valuations. As an association of watch and clock collectors, I can see why we have a rule against doing timepiece valuations: it would be a full time job and nobody would have time for more interesting things.

Books, I think, are a different category altogether. Almost none of us are experts in that (least of all me, I'm just a moderator).
    If Jon wants to discuss the the going price for a first edition of Watchmaking, or even ask where to find one, that's OK with me. He can't sell one here though, but he can give one away if he wants.

Regards,
    Mike

10. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi Mike,

You are correct--I DID give one away but it was last Christmas; however, it was my last duplicate!;)

Jon

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801

11. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:

Jon,

I can help you replenish your supply.... :)

Cheers, Ralph