• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Book Opinions

J

Jack E Radcliffe

(Practical Watch Repairing How to Book by de Carle). Any Opinoins on this Book,

J

Jack E Radcliffe

(Practical Watch Repairing How to Book by de Carle). Any Opinoins on this Book,

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
It's a pretty good book to start with.

J

Jack E Radcliffe

Smudgy does it cover all the types of movements. I am looking for one book that has a lot of Schematics on the different brands. I have the basics of how a watch movement works. I want a visual to study as I work on watches.
Thanks Jack

M

mrb

very few watch repair books will have that info. you will have to get tech sheets from the manufacturers and copies of parts house catalogs, etc.
try the nawcc library, an excellent source.

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Tech sheets would be the way to go. I don't know of any volume that would cover what you are looking for, with the possibility of a reference for swiss watches being sold by J Boel(I think). I haven't actually seen the volume but descriptions lead me to beleive that it would have some indications of parts and functions (possibly with exploded diagrams) for the makers of not for individual models. If you understand how the mechanisms work you really shouldn't need schematics for every movement you work on. Just give it a good look over and make sketches of anything you think you may forget or be confused about later. DeCarl also published a book on complicated watches that may be worth looking into if your concerned about the complications mechanics.

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
have you seen the reprint of the Swigart (sp?)Material catalog from the 1950's?

Believe it is still avaliable from S.LaRose, and upon searching probably at marts, etc...

W

WatchDoc

Jack, it depends on what type of watches you are interested in repairing. If you are into wrists, there are a series of repair tech sheets from ETA that give a detailed visual of the movement parts and give some advanced directions on dissembling and re-assembling. If you're into pocket watches, I'd recommend one of the earlier editions of Practical Watch repairing as the earlier editions have more pocket watch material.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
try abebooks.com or bookfinder.com

Steven Mercer

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2001
Country
Region
Check with the NAWCC Gift Shop. They have Bench Practices for Watch & Clockmakers - 2nd Edition, and Watch Repairer's Manual - 4th Edition. They have a good price and you help out the NAWCC.

Steve

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Mick Watters book on Mechanicaal and Quartz watches covers a range of watches as teh title suggest, is more current than DeCAarle and Freid and also at the NAWCC gift shop. It may be what you seek.

J

Jack E Radcliffe

Thanks to ever one for their opinions they are greatly appreciated
Jack Radcliffe