Book Opinions

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Jack E Radcliffe, Sep 23, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. (Practical Watch Repairing How to Book by de Carle). Any Opinoins on this Book,

2. (Practical Watch Repairing How to Book by de Carle). Any Opinoins on this Book,

3. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a pretty good book to start with.

4. Smudgy does it cover all the types of movements. I am looking for one book that has a lot of Schematics on the different brands. I have the basics of how a watch movement works. I want a visual to study as I work on watches.
    Thanks Jack

5. mrb

mrb Guest

very few watch repair books will have that info. you will have to get tech sheets from the manufacturers and copies of parts house catalogs, etc.
    try the nawcc library, an excellent source.

6. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tech sheets would be the way to go. I don't know of any volume that would cover what you are looking for, with the possibility of a reference for swiss watches being sold by J Boel(I think). I haven't actually seen the volume but descriptions lead me to beleive that it would have some indications of parts and functions (possibly with exploded diagrams) for the makers of not for individual models. If you understand how the mechanisms work you really shouldn't need schematics for every movement you work on. Just give it a good look over and make sketches of anything you think you may forget or be confused about later. DeCarl also published a book on complicated watches that may be worth looking into if your concerned about the complications mechanics.

7. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    have you seen the reprint of the Swigart (sp?)Material catalog from the 1950's?

Believe it is still avaliable from S.LaRose, and upon searching probably at marts, etc...

8. WatchDoc

WatchDoc Guest

Jack, it depends on what type of watches you are interested in repairing. If you are into wrists, there are a series of repair tech sheets from ETA that give a detailed visual of the movement parts and give some advanced directions on dissembling and re-assembling. If you're into pocket watches, I'd recommend one of the earlier editions of Practical Watch repairing as the earlier editions have more pocket watch material.

9. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fried is excellent.

10. bobswatch

bobswatch Registered User

Sep 3, 2004
    Is their a supply house that one might buy Fried repair guide books?
    Thanks,
    Bob

11. mrb

mrb Guest

arlington books

12. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    try abebooks.com or bookfinder.com

13. Steven Mercer

Steven Mercer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check with the NAWCC Gift Shop. They have Bench Practices for Watch & Clockmakers - 2nd Edition, and Watch Repairer's Manual - 4th Edition. They have a good price and you help out the NAWCC.

Steve

14. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great idea, Steve!

15. Timebuilder

Timebuilder Registered User

Oct 19, 2003
    Here are some notes on a few good books to own that will cover most everything you need to know in regard to repairs.

ATNW Book Reviews.

Hope this helps.

16. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mick Watters book on Mechanicaal and Quartz watches covers a range of watches as teh title suggest, is more current than DeCAarle and Freid and also at the NAWCC gift shop. It may be what you seek.

17. Thanks to ever one for their opinions they are greatly appreciated
    Jack Radcliffe