Book on Breguet Exhibit Apparently NOT happening!

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Jeff Salmon, Jul 22, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Salmon

Jeff Salmon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Boy, am I steamed:mad:. For a year, I have had a book on order from Amazon. It was to be catalog of an important Breguet exhibit in a French museum in 2008, I think. There were to be pictures of the recently re-discovery of the Marie Antonette watch. I read that the book was to be available in October or so in 2009. The price was reasonable so I pre-ordered one (AUGUST 7, 2009). And waited......Then I got notice of a delay. And another. And another....:mad:Just the other day, I get a notice from Amazon that the book is unavailable from the publisher and my order is to be canceled. After waiting for almost a year....
    The publisher was to be Somogy. I don't know what happened, but somebody must have the inside scoop. Maybe it will be published by some other publisher who has their act together.

2. movement2009

movement2009 Registered User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hey, don't be unhappy. I have been waiting for some watchmaking tools from a rather famous tool maker (author of a famous technical book from the UK) for more than nine months and finally he told me he don't want to sell me the tool because they are getting rare and only one is left, and also my order is small! Finally I get all the horology tools I want from somewhere else with a very very reasonable price!!! Actually I don't need to wait for such a long time if he can tell me he don't accept my order from the very beginning!!! What a shame!
    This is the horology world!!!

I have several books I want to order from Amazon but they don't ship to my location, I can't find the reason!!! Now I can just dreaming of these books:(

You may try Simonin publisher, they got a lot of Breguet's book, send them an email to see if they have the book you want, they are rather nice.

Hope this may help.

K.K. Au

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Dr. Jon, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I ordered this book several months ago via Amazon and got it.

Here is a bookfinder link http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=tX0TMgPQ7w8peB5rqMoL9GnyHhw_2595154239_1:146:364&bq=author%3Dnicolas%2520g%2E%2520hayek%26title%3Dbreguet%2520un%2520apogee%2520de%2520l%27horlogerie%2520europeenne

If this how you ordered it before, I apologize; but I have had very good results via Amazon.de. I have found that Amazon.de is a different operation from Amazon.com in the US, although both recognize the same password and accounts.

Here is the link to them http://www.amazon.de/Breguet-Un-apogée-lhorlogerie-européenne/dp/2757202677%3FSubscriptionId%3D1NNRF7QZ418V218YP1R2%26tag%3Dbf-dt-home-1-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D2757202677

If my German is right they still have a copy for sale.

It is a lovely book and well worth the effort.

I also checked and Simonin also has it. I have found them to be very reliable.

4. Jeff Salmon

NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Dr. Jon:

Thanks for that link. I notice that the publisher is Somogy. This must be the same book I had on order for almost a year. Is there any English text?

Jeff

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have not turned up an English version.

The book has a lot of French I deeply wish I could read, but it also has a lot of excellent pictures which more than justify the cost of the book, even if, like me, you read little French.

Even if you read no French, I consider it the best book on Breguet watches by the master.

I include the Salomons' Book, Daniels' Book on the Art of Breguet and the Antiquorum catalogs. This is the best because it has so many pictures of many movement details.

I read that Hayek deeply loved this line of watches and this book shows it.

If you can get it, go for it.

6. Jeff Salmon

NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    In my trying to find out more about this Bruguet book, Somogy was the publisher and the book came out in July of 2009. However, on a couple of other sites, I have found a July of 2010 publish date. This makes me think that, perhaps, there is a new edition, maybe in English, on the way. When I ordered my copy, in August of 2009, the edition was to be in English. I plan to keep snooping around to find more information.

7. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it comes out please post a notice. I'd like to read what I have been missing!

8. movement2009

movement2009 Registered User

Apr 9, 2009
    Are you talking about this book?

DSC_9943.jpg

Mine is not in French!!! I got it two months ago:rolleyes:
    The photos of this books are excellent, a good catalogue but I prefer Daniel's one which cover much more knowledge "behind the watches"....especially it is the valuable experience of a top watchmaker.
    Both books are worth to get one.

Good luck!

K.K. Au

9. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Here is the biographical record of the French edition of the Catalog of the recent Breguet exhibition at the Louvre:

# Title: Breguet au Louvre - un apogee de l'horlogerie europeenne
    SubTitle: [Catalog de l'] Exposition presentee a Paris au musee du Louvre, salle de la Chapelle, du 24 juin au 7 septembre 2009
    # Author: Marc Bascou, Arlette-Elsa Emch, Emmanuel Breguet, Rodophe dePieri, Nicolas Hayek, Beatrice Coullare
    # Publisher: Musee du Louvre, Paris
    Keywords: catalog F-Paris clock watch
    Other Keywords: Breguet Louvre
    Language: FRE
    Notes: NO ISBN Number - Massive catalog of 2009 exhibit on Breguet at the Louvre in Paris, heavily illustrated including good never before published movemnt photographs
    Edition: 2009, 1st edition -- Copyright: 2009
    Kind: Book
    Type: Watch (general)
    Geographic area: France
    Topic: History
    Organization: Exhibition
    Pages: 264 -- Height in cm: 28
    Print Status: 1 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
    Entered By: fortunat
    BHM ID: 14505
    -> posts merged by system <-
    The english language website of that exhibition ois still up and may be of interest to thoise following this thread:

http://mini-site.louvre.fr/breguet/index_en.html?lang=en

-> posts merged by system <-
    The english language website of that exhibition ois still up and may be of interest to thoise following this thread:

http://mini-site.louvre.fr/breguet/index_en.html?lang=en

10. Jeff Salmon

NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Several web site book sellers indicate a publishing date or availability of mid August 2010. This must be a new edition (with free samples of watches to examine personally:D).There is now an ISBN number: 275-7202685. Borders has it for pre-order for $60. Barnes and Noble has it for pre-order for $40. Perhaps the first edition is sold out. I can wait a few more weeks to order.

11. grumio

grumio Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have just received a copy of the English language edition of this catalogue from Simonin publishing in Switzerland. Like others, I had a copy of this on order from Amazon for nearly a year before the order was cancelled recently. I would highly recommend contacting them if you are looking for a copy - very friendly and efficient.

I would agree that this book is a must have if you have more than a passing interest in Breguet.

Daniel's "The Art of Breguet" is much stronger on the technical detail of the watches, but the Louvre exhibition catalogue is an extremely well produced and beautiful book, with a very large number of high quality photographs of the watches and clocks, inside and out. There is also a great deal of information on the ups and downs of his business dealings and his customers over the years.

12. Jeff Salmon

NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I have been checking every couple of days on all the major book dealers, Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble, to see if there are any updates on this book. Borders has now changed their listing to say the book is no longer available. A couple of sites say the book is to be available mid August. One site says it's on backorder 5 weeks. I hope to get the book soon for about $40 as it has a price listed at Amazon, and less from Overstock.

13. Jeff Salmon

NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I am continuing to check the US booksellers for an update of this book. Overstock.com now has availability at the end of December. Barnes and Noble says it is no longer available. Amazon shows a used copy from a bookseller for 3 times the cover price, and I don't know if it is the English version. It looks like Simonin in Switzerland is the best source.

14. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The English version is available with a strangely translated title and under a different author as Abraham Louis Breguet: The Climax of European Horology

E. Breguet is an author but www.bookfinder.com came back with Somogy as the author. This looks like the English version and this search today 21 Dec, 2010 found several at very reasonable prices.

No warantee on whether it really is the exhibit catlog or any of the sellers but its certainly worth a look.

15. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The English version does exist and I bought a copy last month from Simonin in Switzerland. Here is the bibliographic record of my copy

# Title: Breguet - An Apogee of European Watchmaking
    SubTitle: [Catalogue of temporry exhibit in the Louvre in Paris, France 24 June to 7 September 2009]
    # Author: Nicolas Hayek, Arlette-Elsa Emch, Marc Bascou, Emmanuel Breguet, Rodophe dePieri
    # Publisher: Musee du Louvre, Paris
    Keywords: catalog watch antique
    Other Keywords: Breguet Louvre exhibit 2009
    ISBN: 978 2 35031 247 7
    Language: ENG
    Notes: English language Edition of the catalog of the 2009 temporary exhibit on the Oeuvre of Breguet held at the Louvre in Paris. 136 Breguet timepieces were displayed and are catalogued in the book. Richly illustrated and lavishly produces. Includes bibliography, Index, Serial number list of exhibited objects
    Edition: 2009, 1st edition -- Copyright: 2009
    Kind: Book
    Type: Timekeeper (general)
    Geographic area: France
    Topic: History
    Organization: Exhibition
    Pages: 264 -- Height in cm: 28
    Print Status: 1 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
    Entered By: fortunat
    BHM ID: 15434

It appears that during the exhibit in 2009 English language copies were published under the above title, but they never appeared on the market, some were distibuted by the Breguet company (and the Swatch group), and the louvre who supposedly is one of the two stated publishers was never aware of it.

There seems to be a redition of the book under the title Dr. Jon gave in process.

16. Jeff Salmon

NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Dr. Jon:

I have continued my search for the English edition of this book and am still very frustrated. Several sites still show the book, either as not available, out of stock, "expect delivery in 2 to 4 weeks". I don't believe any of them. I actually called a book distributor, after seeing the book advertised on their web site. They tried to find the book and could not get much info from their European suppliers. The woman I talked to about this was puzzled by the fact that there was an ISBN number for the book, and it was listed on their website, but she should not seem to get it. I have seen various publishing dates, from January to August 2010, to not having been printed yet. I suspect the latter is because the particular web sites have not been up-dated in a while. I keep looking and waiting.

17. itspcb

itspcb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Retired
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just received a copy, the English version, from Antoine Simonin in Switzerland.
    Outstanding book as others have said!
    Sonya Renaud is the lady to talk to.

Peter

18. Keith H

Keith H Registered User

May 18, 2004
    Male
    Retired
    Southampton, England
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for letting this be known.
    As a direct result I emailed Antoine Simonin [info2@booksimonin.ch] yesterday requesting details and avaliability.
    Received a reply from Sonya Renaud this morning confirming it is still available from them at a price of 89 swiss francs. Insured shipping to England is an additional 53 francs, presumably to the USA slightly dearer.
    My order has gone in and looking forward to receiving my copy.

Keith

19. Jeff Salmon

NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Apparently, the book is not available through any of the domestic booksellers and it is only available from Simonin. I may break down and buy it from them, but I like to save some money.

20. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The NAWCC Libibrary has two copies (I bought them at Simonin when I visited his store last year) so they have one available for lending to NAWCC members by mail or by visting Columbia.

National Watch and Clock Library Call Number: JA 100 Bregue Hay 2009
    Title: Breguet : An apogee of European watchmaking
    Publisher: Paris : Musée du Louvre/Somogy,
    Publication Date: c2009.
    Physical Description: 263[1] p. : col. ill.

ISBN: 9782757202685

Notes:
    Includes bibliography and index.
    Summary:
    Massive catalog of the 2009 exhibit, "Breguet at the Louvre: An apogee of European watchmaking," held from June 24-September 7, that includes never before seen published movement photos.

21. Keith H

Keith H Registered User

May 18, 2004
    Male
    Retired
    Southampton, England
    Country Flag:
    #21 Keith H, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    My copy arrived this morning.
    I found it to be excellent quality and that Sonya Renaud provided a very helpfull and timely service.

For Breguet fans I would also recommend the catalogue from the 1991 Antiquorum Habsburg auction "The Art Of Breguet" which appears to be readily available for around $35.00 which I think represents great value for money.