• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Book for Novices Re: American Watchmaking Industry?

Girl59

Oct 31, 2021
Country
Hello to all. I'm seeking suggestions for a good, readable work -- for a layperson/general audience -- on the American watchmaking industry. I hope there is such a thing, on a topic so rich with scientific and technical aspects. Now reading "American Watchmaking, A Technical History of the American Watch Industry," by Michael C. Harrold. It's helping me a lot. But also looking for something a bit more expansive, and if possible, focused on the period mid-19th-century to about 1930s. Thanks, and all recommendations/thoughts welcome.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
"Time & Timekeepers" by Willis Milham (1923) has a chapter on the history of watchmaking in America. It won't bring you quite up to the 1930s, but close.

Donald Hoke's "American Pocket Watches" is not just a catalog of The Time Museum holdings but contains some good background on the American industry.

Reactions: Girl59

Girl59

Oct 31, 2021
Country
"Time & Timekeepers" by Willis Milham (1923) has a chapter on the history of watchmaking in America. It won't bring you quite up to the 1930s, but close.

Donald Hoke's "American Pocket Watches" is not just a catalog of The Time Museum holdings but contains some good background on the American industry.
Jerry, thank you. Will look for both. Whole new worlds opening up.

Reactions: Dr. Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lurch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent