Book Advice

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Gaijin94, Oct 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Gaijin94

Gaijin94 Guest

Hi everyone, I have just registered into what I think must be the most thorough forum for watches and pocketwatches that I have been able to find. Congratulations to you all for your excellent participation and management of the site. Now, for my question. As I am a brand new collector of pocket watches, I was wondering what everyone thought about the new book "Collector's Encyclopedia of Pendant and Pocket Watches by Jeanenne Bell". Personally it seems really thorough and I am very tempted to purchase it but was just wondering what everyone on here thought first before making my decision. Any advice and comments welcome.

Sincerely,
    Chris

2. Gaijin94

Gaijin94 Guest

Hi everyone, I have just registered into what I think must be the most thorough forum for watches and pocketwatches that I have been able to find. Congratulations to you all for your excellent participation and management of the site. Now, for my question. As I am a brand new collector of pocket watches, I was wondering what everyone thought about the new book "Collector's Encyclopedia of Pendant and Pocket Watches by Jeanenne Bell". Personally it seems really thorough and I am very tempted to purchase it but was just wondering what everyone on here thought first before making my decision. Any advice and comments welcome.

Sincerely,
    Chris

3. Wes

Wes Registered User

Aug 19, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I highly recommend the latest annual publication of The Complete Price Guide to Watches. Not only does it have the most comprehensive value listings in print, but the information in the first few hundred pages of general information is invaluable. And, for $20 to $30 it can't be beat!

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Chris -

If you like American pocketwatches then there are quite a few books by Roy Ehrhardt that you will find very useful. Most of these books were originally published 10 to 30 years ago so the prices listed are not always inline with today's market, but the value of these books is in the wealth of other information and photos they contain.

For information across a range of American watches I especially like Ehrhardt's "American Pocket Watches, Beginning to End ..." book. For black and white photos of many rare to common American watches I like Ehrhardt's "1978 Price Indicator", the "1979 Price Indicator", and the "1980 Price Indicator".

Some of these books may still be available through "Heart of America Press" ( http://www.hoapress.com ), others you may have to search for through online booksellers or eBay auctions. If you attend NAWCC shows these books are also seen at times on seller's tables, but I see your location is listed as Osaka Japan so I assume this may not be an option.

Fred

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The complete guide is very much worth having but to a newcomer it can be confusing and a key part of judging condition is always tricky regardless of experience.

Jeanenne Bell's book is a more accessable and higher level book and covers a wide range of watches. (I have a slight conflict of interst becuase I own one of the watches pictured although she got the picture before I got the watch) It is a good place to start. I reviewd this book in Horological Books.

The other book I recommend is "Marking Time" by Micheal Korda which I alos reviewed in the Horological Books section. Its a very good introduction into getting your act together on how to plan a collection.

6. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have both and if i could only have one I'd get the Complete Guide. While it is at times confusing, the information provided is encyclopedic.

Bell's forte is the illustrations. Also it's a fair general inroduction to horological development.

7. Gaijin94

Gaijin94 Guest

Wow, thank you all very much for your sincere responses. I guess now that I have your advice, I have some book buying to do ! Thank you most sincerely for your advice.

Kind wishes,

Chris Muller