book about jewelers regulators?

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by bruce linde, May 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Anyone know of a book about jewelers regulators? I’ve search the message board and NAWCC publications and haven’t found anything.
    thx,
    b

2. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Napier, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Are you meaning regulator clocks in general ?
    Whilst jewelers used them I don't know that makers of such clocks made them specifically for them, rather they made them for anyway who had a need of accurate time keeping. Astronomers and the like.
    If you search book sites with the author name "Derek Roberts" and keyword "clocks" you'll find his superb books.
    I have 3 of his series about precision clocks.
    Not cheap, like everything of value....

Ralph.

3. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I will check them out… But I am talking about specifically the French and Swiss pinwheel regulators with 13-ish pound lyre pendulums, sweep second hands, and porcelain dials... where the cases are like morbiers (black metal cages) rather than just front and back plates (although they do have plates, but kind of cut down and fit into the cages).

4. captainclock

captainclock Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You mean something like this?

Jewelers Regulator.jpg

I know very well what you are talking about, a local Jeweler/Watch repairman has one in his shop that has been in his family since new
    (the shop he runs has been around in the same family since 1861, and he said the clock dated back to the 1870s.)

I would do a google search on Jeweler's Regulators through google books and see what comes up, or even amazon.

5. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, that’s not what I’m talking about… I’m talking about the ones with sweep second hands and porcelain dials. They typically were mounted in iron cages and made in france and Switzerland. they are a definite thing. :cool:

i have five of them and have been power searching for more indoor years now. I think the best I might be able to do is get a whole bunch of people to send me photos of their’s… But that wouldn’t give us any of the historical information I would love to have

6. captainclock

captainclock Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know they are but I'm just having a hard time picturing the style of Jeweler's Regulators you're describing because I can only think of the American Style ones which are massive wooden clocks that have sweep second hands like you describe but they mostly have brass dials.

7. itspcb

itspcb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The third of Roberts book deals with 'Precision Clocks from France , Germany, America and Recent Advancements' and deals with the likes of Janvier Berthoud Brequet Riefler, Strasse and Rohde.
    Its a great book with wonderful photography, but does not specifically mention 'Jewellers regulator' as a category of clocks in their own right. The term 'regulator' is much misused to my mind.
    Can you not borrow it from the NAWCC library? They are expensive, about £90, over here , but worth every penny, in my view.
    Peter

8. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

these: jewelers regulator clock

particularly the ones with porcelain dials and large brass lyre pendulums that weight about 13lbs.

i have several. the movements were french or swiss, mostly pinwheels. my waterbury has a deadbeat, but i think that movement was made here.

9. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like the one hanging behind the watchmaker in this photo...

Interior store Waterbury reg.jpg

10. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    heck, yes.... although i would want to put it where i could watch it all the time. :cool:

PatH likes this.