Boley Geneva Flip-Down T-Rest height

Daniel Keen

NAWCC Member
May 30, 2019
Country
Region
Hey all,

I recently acquired a beautiful looking G Boley Geneva-style D-bed lathe. It looks pretty pristine and the bearings seem to be very good. It came with many accessories which drove the purchase, as buying onesey-twosey can be expensive :)

However, I seem to be stumped by it. The flip-down t-rest that came with it seems to, at its lowest, be pretty much exactly 4mm higher than the center. See attached photos. I took it apart and found it stamped G Boley 201. Does anyone know if this belongs to a WW-style lathe instead? I'd be surprised as the clamp is for a d-bed, but maybe this is a WW-style rest on top of a d-bed clamp? Was hoping to try my hand at repivoting but, uh, don't see how I can. I'm tempted to grind down the rest but that seems insanely stupid ;-)

Or am I just holding it wrong?

Thanks much,
Dan

IMG_0761.jpeg IMG_0762.jpeg IMG_0763.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Dan, and welcome to the forum,

The tip-over rest certainly doesn't fit your lathe, and also appears to be missing the clamp which should secure the rest in its pipe. It may have been put together from parts of a WW or Reform, (in fact the top part resembles the rest from a Boley F1, which does have a WW type bed), but it would be a shame to modify it, especially since you do need a clamp with it, so probably best to sell it and get the correct one.

Regards,

Graham

Daniel Keen

NAWCC Member
May 30, 2019
Country
Region
Well… darn.

I do have the clamp to secure the rest to the pipe, I had taken it off to ensure I had the rest as far down as possible just in case it was binding. You can see the black screw for it on the board below the lathe. Sorry to confuse in the photos.

Any idea where I could find one? I guess this is where I start hunting, but man, I was sure hoping to use it now :(

Thanks for the info, Graham :)

D

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Dan,

Any idea where I could find one? I guess this is where I start hunting, but man, I was sure hoping to use it now
They come up on the 'Bay from time to time; G.Boley Geneva pattern lathes are unusual in that the flat is on top of the 'D' bed rather than to the side like almost all other manufacturers' lathes of this type, so you're pretty much restricted to a genuine G.Boley component.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: Daniel Keen

Daniel Keen

NAWCC Member
May 30, 2019
Country
Region
So I did a few things.
1) I made my own fixed tool rest. This required multiple pieces as I could not find a t-slot cutter that matches the Boley size (not unexpected). So I cut a slot in one piece and then bolted another on top to make a poor-man's t-slot. On the top piece I reamed a hole to fit the post, drilled and reamed a post of the proper height, slotted it (poorly) with a hacksaw, and then affixed it with Locktite. It works great! See photos… first is the bottom piece, then reaming the post, then checking the tool fits properly, and then checking the height to ensure it's plenty low enough. Height was picked to allow the double-roller rest to be exactly on centerline (not shown).

IMG_0783.jpeg IMG_0787.jpeg IMG_0791.jpeg IMG_0795.jpeg

2) And then I found another Geneva-style G. Boley lathe on eBay for a reasonable price. It showed what looked like the proper flip-down tool rest and carriers which I didn't get with my original purchase. So… I sprung for that, and it works great. So I'm not using the fixed t-rest I made, and I have a spare lathe :) You can see the t-rest in this photo from the auction.

s-l1600.jpg

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
The problem is that tip over rests were not used much in Europe when this Boley was made. They did not make as many tip over rests as lathe sets and as a result they are scarce. They do show up but I waited several years to find and buy one.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Hey all,

Was hoping to try my hand at repivoting but, uh, don't see how I can. I'm tempted to grind down the rest but that seems insanely stupid ;-)

Or am I just holding it wrong?

Thanks much,
Dan

View attachment 580737 View attachment 580738 View attachment 580739
Dan
Now that you have resolved your "rest issue" , I am curious how you plan to repivot. While this can be done on a watchmakers Lathe, if one of your lathes is equipped with a matching number collet holding tailstock, it has its limitations for clock size parts shown in one of your photos.

Jerry Kieffer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ferkor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-