• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

'Bob' size

barmybloke

Jan 13, 2021
Country
Hi there, first an apology for my complete ignorance on the subject of clocks.

I have just come into possession of a Grandfather clock, my understanding is that its a Romanet Morbier French clock. It all seems in good working order apart from it is missing the Bob on the pendulum and I have absolutely no idea how I find out what size/shape/weight I should be looking for to replace it.

Any help would be very gratefully received, I've tried to attach a couple of pictures

clock1.jpg clock2.jpg

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
Hi barmybloke, and welcome to the forum!

Size and weight are surprisingly not critical. If the wooden rod is no wider than 20mm, this should do the trick: Bobs for Wooden Pendulum Rods

Simon

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
If the disc is too small or too large in diameter you may not have enough adjustment on the threaded bar to regulate the clock. Good luck

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You could rig up something to hang on the stick for now to see how much swing you have. Then calculate the size of bob that the case will allow to swing without hitting the sides.

Reactions: NEW65