Boardman and Wells Brass Bushed

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by DanJeffries, May 12, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanJeffries

DanJeffries The Tower clock man
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Male
    Controller
    Monticello Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi clock family,

After all my years of collecting I have finally ran across and affordable (or at least the amount I was willing to spend;)) project wooden works clock. I have wanted one that was in need of repair but not a basket case. I have seen several that people wanted several hundred dollars for and you see parts of wheels sitting in the bottom of the case....

Well I purchased a Boardman and Wells and a lot of the original clock is there dial, hands, pendulum, label etc......and overall in decent shape.
    It does need a splat, feet etc, so again long-term project.

My first concern is ID my movement. I have already contacted Sooth since he did an extensive restoration on a B&W several years ago.....he directed me to the S. Taylor spreadsheet. He seemed to think I was on right track but wasn't so sure about the brass bushings. Best I can tell I do have a B&W movement and I believe it to be a 9.223. However, my movement is brass bushed, but doesn't seem to be done by a repairman. These are nice neat and appear to be original brass disc that are sunk into the interior of the plates. The entire time side and up to the fly are bushed on the strike side.
    Can anyone tell me if these were original?:confused: I have cleaned a wood works clock before for a customer and his clock had some brass bushings, but they were more of the traditional looking clock bushings and you could definitely tell they weren't original. Again since I'm "new" to the wood works stuff, just wondering if anyone could shed light on this......my label states Improved clocks but nothing about brass bushings:confused:

Anyhow, any help that anyone has would be great.
    The time side of this clock has had previous repairs and they were done very nice, dovetail cuts etc.....now the strike side, well lets just say there are still a lot of bent nails:eek:. I would imagine the last repairman got the clock running and said the heck with the strike side and told the customer "it won't strike". the bell was sitting in the bottom of the clock.

Again any help and opinions are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it was pretty much standard practice to upgrade these with brass bushings as other companies advertised brass bushings as an advantage.

The brass bushings on my BW are thin pieces of brass sheet metal strips that look to have been folded over round to fit each pivot and then inserted (hammered) in so that the sheet metal edge holds the bushing in place.

Oddly enough, we now know that the pivot suffers 0 to little wear turning in a wood bushing hole (no oil either) hundreds of years later. While brass bushings wear out all the time.

RJ

3. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

I think there's a strong possibility that your brass bushings are original. In "Forestville Clockmakers" by Ken Roberts and Snowden Taylor, Figure 9B clearly establishes that Boardman & Wells made a wood movement with brass bushings. The movement seems to have the same shop details as your type 9.223. The label states "Extra Clocks/with Brass Bushings/Manufactured and Sold/By/Boardman & Wells." The fact that your label doesn't mention brass bushings doesn't bother me. There's no reason to think that they would have had an equal number of labels printed for the number of brass bushed movements made.

Mike

4. DanJeffries

DanJeffries The Tower clock man
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Male
    Controller
    Monticello Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the replies, the clock is ticking along great and keeping excellent time. Had to make several adjustments, but I'm very impressed with it timekeeping ability.
    I will post pictures of the bushings as soon as I can, my wife has a new DSLR so will put her to work! :p
    I seem to be in agreement with Mike, I believe my brass bushings are original. I believe there are just too neat and tidy to be done after manufacture just from my experience in repair work and seeing others repairs. Again, I'm also referring to other wooden movements that I have seen with obvious "added" brass bushings. These are nice round disc counter sunk into the movement, and from the font of the plate the bushing area just seems to be made for them.
    So I'll see if I can shoot some pictures tonight, without taking the movement back apart.
    Thanks for the responses and more to come. :)
    Dan