Blowing Away Hard Core Rust

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Joseph Bautsch, Feb 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I often buy clocks have suffered long time abuse and the works often have a substantial amount of rust and other crud that is difficult to get off. I saw the use of this method in a comment made by Jerry Kiefier so I have to give him credit for the idea. I'm using a AEC Air Eraser with a very fine media to get rid of hard core rust especially in the lantern pinions and areas that can't be reached for cleaning. This of course is a last resort method where nothing else is going to do the job. With hard core rust, chemicals, wire brushing, and vibrator polishing have limited value if any at all. The first picture shows a wheel and lantern pinion that has been through the standard chemical, wire brushing, and polishing and the rust is still there. The second photo shows the same wheel after using the blaster with a 320grit media. The third photo shows the wheel after using a soft wire wheel to get a bright finish. The rust on the trundles, sides and bottoms as well as the arbor inside the lantern is gone. The last shot shows the blasting set up I'm using, with a pressure regulator, a particles filter, a water desiccant filter, and the blasting gun.

0-8.jpeg 0-9.jpeg 0-7.jpeg 0-10.jpeg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks great, and it's always good to have a reason to buy a new toy :)

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder what the trundles look like under magnification after a good blast with 320 grit media? does the resulting porous surface yield to faster rusting going forward? just curious

4. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am going too try soaking in coke a cola, on my next RUST job.
    I keep seeing that it works.

5. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bare metal is bare metal, it dosen't rust any faster or slower with or without pits. Cleaned trundles work a whole lot better than rusted ones.

6. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was just wondering about how it looked under high magnification because pitted metal has substantially larger, and rougher, surface area than polished, and the pits collect debris and moisture, which I would think would tend to rust faster?? but certainly getting the part rust free is important. a highly polished surface where the teeth meet the trundles is probably not as important as polished pallets meeting the EW teeth, but I don't think I would blast the pallets with 320 grit and not follow up with a really thorough polishing. I note that you polished the trundles, and this is certainly a good alternative to chemical rust removal. Did you use sand or plastic media in the blaster? I have used plastic media on rusted gun parts with similar success, but I avoid the sand.

7. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sand is too aggressive, its sharp edged. It removes more material than any of the other media and leaves a rougher surface. I used 320 grit Aluminum Oxide which leaves a rough surface which can be polished out with a wire wheel. Any pits are probably there because of the rust. Using a 500 grit and then follow that up with a 1200 is about as close to polished as they will get. (I need to order the 500-1200 to finish the job.) I don't know of any way to polish trundles without taking them out of the lantern. Using the blaster is a last resort for cleaning. Its a whole lot better than leaving the rust. Hitting the pallets with the blaster woun't remove the EW groves and they should be polished as a matter of routine anyway.

THTanner likes this.
  8. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I buy the plastic media from these folks. They have just about any variety you might want to consider. Aluminum oxide ( AL2-O3) is basically sapphire.and the only thing harder is diamond dust. I am not sure if the plastic media will work in your blast gun, but it will remove the rust without cutting the hard metal. Generally you use a larger granule with plastic media than with sapphire. The people at that site can assist with information on the best spec for the job.

Polyester Plastic Media - Composition Materials Co.

9. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They have the media I can use but I don't need a 40 lb bag.

10. TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    why did it do blue through the whole sentence ??
    On the last thread.

I only wanted to use the word THIS

12. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a similar tumbler that I use for polishing brass for reloading. I use a media that is a mix of crushed walnut shells, baking soda and a squeeze of lemon juice.
    It does not work well for small clock parts, especially something like trundles because the media does not seem to contact small enclosed areas like that. Perhaps a smaller media would..
    But it works very well on large case pieces. I recently used it on all the case brass on a Zaandam that the customer wanted polished.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you type the whole sentence and then go back and highlight the part you want, it works like you wanted it to. But if you pause in mid-sentence to make a link and then try to complete the sentence, our software takes that as a continuation of the link. There is a way to change it back, but it's just easier to finish the sentence and then go back to make the link.

14. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    best to put the link word or phrase at the end of the sentence - not in the middle

15. TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

THANK YOU
    I SEE