Blessing Anniversary style clock.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Fenner, Sep 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fenner

Fenner Registered User

Sep 25, 2012
    Retired
    Barnoldswick.Lancs
    Country Flag:
    I was given this clock for repair and I think the movement is kaput so I started inspecting the clock which I have never seen one before (like this) but it seems the movement has been glued in and I wondered if you lads or lasses have come across this type. there is no movement at all of anything likely to move there is no fixing device of any description,screws or clips the face also looks like it is glued. The clock is a West German(Blessing) and the movement is UTS but no part number on the movement. I have not tried looking for a movement until I can remove the existing one. Hope someone can assist. Fenner
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Have you tried to unscrew the two rear knobs that seem to be securing the movement box? It's hard to tell from the photos but maybe it's worth a try.

Also there seem to be two clips, one on each side, that hold the itself movement into the gray plastic case. Again that's what I can see from the photo, but I maybe am not seeing clearly.

JTD

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know of anyone who makes those movements any more. They were inexpensive quartz clocks with a clumsy mechanism to impart power to the the pendulum (which is usually not needed to run the clock). The movement might very well be 'glued' in place with a double stick type tape behind the movement. You could try warming it with a hair dryer to see if it will wiggle out.
    Alternately, it looks like it might have clips, one on each side that can be pinched to let the movement slide out the back.

4. Fenner

Fenner Registered User

Sep 25, 2012
    Retired
    Barnoldswick.Lancs
    Country Flag:
    Thanks JTD, and Shutterbug. I have tried the two clips but no luck will try the two knobs. I have been in touch with "Megaquartz uk who say's they haven't made these clocks for over twenty years and the movement is not available now. So I may have to try and get the old one working if thats possible.

5. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's also possible that the dial is glued over the heads of screws which hold the movement in from the front. The only way to find out is to remove the hands (easy) and then peel the dial off (almost impossible without damaging it.)

If the electronics in the movement are bad but the electromagnet is still good (check with an ohmmeter; it's several hundred ohms, I think) you can substitute the electronics from another quartz movement. You have to string four wires: two wires to the electromagnet and positive and negative 1.5 volts DC from the battery. All the electronics board does is to supply a 1.5 volt current pulse to the electromagnet every second.

I did this on a weird Bulova alarm clock and wrote a post about it either here or in electric horology.

M Kinsler