Blakely, New York, circa1850

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by davy26, Oct 12, 2018 at 9:22 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just wondering, does anyone here know of a watchmaker or retailer named Blakely please? He was apparently active in/around New York circa 1850. Any information or signposting would be most gratefully received.

David Buckden
    The Old Watchword

Keith R... likes this.
  2. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi -

Could this be the right Blakely?

Doggett's New York City Directory 1846 lists Henry Blakely, watchmaker, 68 Fulton (shop and home)
    New York City Directory 1847 (page 51) lists Henry Blakely, watchmaker, 5 Pine
    New York City Directory 1851 (page 58) Henry Blakely, watchmaker, r. 30 Cortlandt, h. Taylor's hotel
    Trow's New York City Directory 1860 (page 82) H'y Blakely, watchmaker, 116 William, h. 66 Morton
    Gouldings New York City Directory 1877 (page 116) Henry Blakely, watchmaker, 80 Nassau

Pat

davy26 and Keith R... like this.
  3. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Pat - looks likely. All my references on this project so far are UK-based, but now I can see if I can further clarify by finding out about the nature of this Henry B's business. Much appreciated. Regards. David

4. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm a fan of Cornhill and Cheap side. My collections are a mix of English and early
    America, I'll have to check out your blog.

I'll send you a PM with some Cornhill and some Cheap side.

This way I can keep Dave C. in Americana.

Keith R...

5. PatH

PatH Registered User

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David,

I also found a manifest for the ship Niagara from Liverpool to NY September/October 1846. It lists cabin passenger Henry Blakely, 30y-age, watchmaker-occupation, Canada-nativity, New York-residence, U.S.-allegiance. I didn't see anything for passage to Liverpool, but I don't have access to Ancestry.com or other sites that might include this type of information.

Good luck in your search.
    Pat

musicguy and davy26 like this.
  6. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Pat - once again I'm very grateful for your help. Regards. David.

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "immigration" records include all those landing in the U.S. There may not be equivalent records at British or other European ports. If you find someone with a prior U.S. address, it is reasonable to presume that they had been on a trip to wherever the ship arrived from. :)

In researching Samuel Hammond of New York, I found three landings from Liverpool that I interpreted as meaning he was on business trips to establish sources for his business.

Keith R... and PatH like this.
  8. PatH

PatH Registered User

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Tom. The list showed him in a very small group of cabin passengers, so I assumed it was a business trip to Liverpool. Not much experience in this area, so I was just making assumptions.