NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I am curious about how people feel about the blacking in the engraving. I thought there was no problem with replacing it. Is the consensus that such work is over-restoration?

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
I am curious about how people feel about the blacking in the engraving. I thought there was no problem with replacing it. Is the consensus that such work is over-restoration?
As far as I'm concerned restoring coloration in factory engravings is desirable so long as the paint is the same color as the original; ditto for vintage fountain pens & vintage cars.

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
As far as I'm concerned restoring coloration in factory engravings is desirable so long as the paint is the same color as the original; ditto for vintage fountain pens & vintage cars.
If this is a consensus opinion, I'd be glad to have it done. Shouldn't be too hard to achieve, right? Or am I wrong? What would be needed to do the work? Not a felt tip pen, I assume.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
I see no harm in using a Black felt marker, just wipe excess from plate with a rag with one-dip to clean off the plate, the black marker will stay as long as you are going to have it. ;)

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
If the Black is gone on any of my movements I leave them
as is. It's just a personal choice.

Rob

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
My friend who does this told me that model airplane dope is the best material for longevity. It approximates the original lacquer that was used.

Joe Blossic

Sep 6, 2015
Country
I have had the enamel replaced on a few movements by my watchmaker and it has made a significant difference. I think its similar to cleaning a dial.
Coincidently, he did a FB post today on this. Photos with permission.
"Replacing missing enamel in the plate engravings of an antique watch requires a special nib connected by a thin tube to something resembling an IV saline bag, steady hands, and a very level surface"
e.JPG f.JPG Enamel Replacement.jpg

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
I use model paint for watches & pens. It's generally a good idea to thin the paint to enhance its flowability, it's not so much painted on like for the wall of a shed but rather it's dripped into the engraved metal wherein it flows to its own level.

I use a toothpick or a bristle (such as a whisker donated by one of my cats) to apply the paint. Any overflow or slop can be wiped off using a thin material with a stiff backing for e.g. a small strip from a thin old cotton dress shirt backed against a small piece of popsicle stick. The idea is to skim unwanted paint from off of the surface of the plate without disturbing the paint which has obediently filled the engraving.

Anyways the above is my technique.

Bryan Eyring

NAWCC Member
Dec 11, 2007
Country
Region
Restoration should be coincident with the underlying condition of the item such that the restoration cannot be detected. That is, IMO, the definition of a good restoration. i.e. not knowing that it was ever restored.

Heavily faded tutone or abraded movements with fresh new lettering look kind of obvious and silly.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
As I understand it (and it has been said above already) it is an
acceptable practice to do it if the collector wants it done.
Every collector has their own choice to do it or not.
It's all good.

Rob

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Rob,
...it is an acceptable practice to do it if the collector wants it done.
I think the test should be, whether whatever is done is reversible later if necessary. In this instance, it clearly is.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfootdoctor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-