• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Blackforest clock- identifcation!

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

Philipp Haas & Söhne ("PHS") was the maker of your clock movement.

They were known to have made wooden movements until circa 1910 and they went out of business in 1930.

Regards.

Reactions: WojciechBlackforest

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The movement is interesting. It has three trains, a time train, a strike train that will strike half and full hours, and a third. Is it for an alarm? The clock also has a bell and a gong, so maybe the gong for the strike and the bell for the alarm?

Could you show the dial of the clock from the front?

Uhralt

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
The movement is interesting. It has three trains, a time train, a strike train that will strike half and full hours, and a third. Is it for an alarm? The clock also has a bell and a gong, so maybe the gong for the strike and the bell for the alarm?

Could you show the dial of the clock from the front?

Uhralt
Thank you for your response.
Please find attached dial photos.

If You can see photo with clock hands, i am sure that on the right side is not original. (another was soldered to the broken original).
But also I'm not sure for 100% that minute hand is original.
Maybe you have some possibilities to check it..some directories etc. 20210928_105731.jpg IMG-20210927-WA0014.jpg IMG-20210929-WA0004.jpeg 20211004_170612.jpg IMG-20211013-WA0004.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
I keep watching this mechanism and now I see another marks... in the photos we can notice three digits "3" "3" "3" on different parts of mechanism. Can anybody explain what do they mean?
Thank you in advance.
Best wishes to all.

Last edited:

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The minute hand might be original. The hour hand looks more like it has come from a Vienna Regulator.

The purpose of the embossed "3"s was to make sure that parts for and individual clock were not mixed up with parts for others when the clock was made.

Here are pictures of some Black forest clock hands from the period the clock was made.
Black Forest Hands.JPG

Am I correct that the clock has an alarm function? I think the simple, third hand of your clock is to set the alarm time.

Uhralt

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
The minute hand might be original. The hour hand looks more like it has come from a Vienna Regulator.

The purpose of the embossed "3"s was to make sure that parts for and individual clock were not mixed up with parts for others when the clock was made.

Here are pictures of some Black forest clock hands from the period the clock was made.
View attachment 676498

Am I correct that the clock has an alarm function? I think the simple, third hand of your clock is to set the alarm time.

Uhralt
Yes, you are correct regarding alarm clock. The longest hand of a clock is need to set alarm time.
Does anyone have directory ( single pages) with this clock?

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country

View attachment 676498

Uhralt
Yes, you are correct regarding alarm clock. The longest hand of a clock is need to set alarm time.
Does anyone have directory ( single pages) with this clock?
I have just found in history NAWCC forum this cataloq page.
Can you tell me....is there my clock?

PHS1901.jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I don't see your exact clock but No. 33 and No. 143 are similar. No 33 is an eight-day clock but I think yours is a one day clock.

I don't think that a directory for your clock is available, but it isn't difficult to use. To set the alarm you just move the alarm hand counter-clockwise to the time the alarm should go off. Then pull the alarm weight up. The alarm is very loud and long, The alarm stops when the weight is all the way down. It will wake the dead...

Uhralt

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
I could be wrong but it seems to me that the H and J are just part of their numbering systems for their models. There are also K and L. The difference between the models seems to be the size.

Uhralt
Thank you. Dear Uhralt probably you are right in this matter. But I would like to confirm it by the some documentation. Unfortunately I have only one page from whole catalog. Maybe some another forum user will be able to help me.

Best regards

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
[/QUOTE]
I don't see your exact clock but No. 33 and No. 143 are similar. No 33 is an eight-day clock but I think yours is a one day clock.

I don't think that a directory for your clock is available, but it isn't difficult to use. To set the alarm you just move the alarm hand counter-clockwise to the time the alarm should go off. Then pull the alarm weight up. The alarm is very loud and long, The alarm stops when the weight is all the way down. It will wake the dead...

Uhralt
In my opinion we decode it in the following way:
For example:
No.143 1/2/7"H H.28 cm 11 in.

No.143 - clock catalog number
1/2 - clock with striking at full and half hour.
7" - dial diameter
H - UNKNOWN:???:??!!!!!! (and others letters like: J,E,Z,U,D, W, Q. R)
H.28 cm 11 in.- clock diameter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seek
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller