Blackforest Clock Co (Toronto) Granddaughter

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by woodlawndon, Aug 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wasn't planning on picking up another clock for awhile but this Granddaughter came up and I became rather attached. As plain as it is I quite like the style, compact size (5' 2 1/2") and very nice Westminster chime. It would have been made in the 1930s with the movement being likely imported from Germany. It needs a good scrubbing and I'm very much looking forward to pulling the movement and having a look.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think i saw this one for sale locally, very nice clock.

3. woodlawndon

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kevin. As suspected, the movement is a Mauthe. I found a sticker behind the dial from an Ottawa clock repair shop dated 1996 with the words "major repair" written on it. The case was very grubby but came up quite nice after a few goes with some Gojo and some Howards feed and wax. I'm pleased so far.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice buy and a good maker, assembled in Toronto perhaps. Blackforest clock co.

5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have several Blackforest clocks (Toronto - known as the Forestville Clock Co. after 1941) but have never seen a "granddaughter" clock.

Ron

6. woodlawndon

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm a new collector but I haven't seen any others on the net either. My personal opinion is that this size was not very popular and they didn't sell many. If you were rich enough after the depression you would have splashed out for a full grandfather if you wanted a long case, otherwise you likely would have bought a small mantel like the majority of folks. Personally I love this size, if you want to move it around the house you can almost pick it up under one arm and away you go.

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a nice size, just over 5 feet. I dont see many of those around. A great looking clock.