• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Black Forest Wood Wheel Glass bell clock

BLACK FOREST CLOCKS

Dec 4, 2004
Schwarzwald USA
www.blackforestclocks.org
Country
This may be of interest to someone of you. A recent acquisition.

Black Forest (not Bohemian) from the late 18th C.

A sweet little clock in wonderful condition for its age retaining its integrity and original side doors!

Wood wheel, glass bell, one of the first lacquered shields... a design which would become the staple for the industry for nearly the next century.

Need to make one hand and then enjoy as it is.

Attachments

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This may be of interest to someone of you. A recent acquisition.

Black Forest (not Bohemian) from the late 18th C.

A sweet little clock in wonderful condition for its age retaining its integrity and original side doors!

Wood wheel, glass bell, one of the first lacquered shields... a design which would become the staple for the industry for nearly the next century.

Need to make one hand and then enjoy as it is.
Thank you for sharing. Once again, it's nice to see a genuinely antique clock from that part of the world. A welcomed change.

For me, I guess for this sort of thing I respond to it more as a piece of kinetic folk art. Like the dial, the hand(s) with the pierced heart shaped tip, what looks like patterned paper applied to the sides, that glass bell is great, too. As someone who used to collect antique American glass, making a bell of glass with resonance was probably no small feat. Consider how many crafts, all done by hand, contributed to the creation of that little "simple" clock.

Thanks again.

RM

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice clock, Justin. I find it somewhat amazing that a glass bell would survive this long. I've seen cast iron bells crack over the years. How does it sound?

BLACK FOREST CLOCKS

Dec 4, 2004
Schwarzwald USA
www.blackforestclocks.org
Country
Hi Harold,

The glass bells do survive occasionally. When I purcahsed the clock the glass bell was missing. Fortunately I was able to get one made through a contact in the BF. There are still some very talented glass blowers in the Black Forest who have experience replicating these bells. A glass bell being struck with a wood hammer has a very unique, and pleasant sound. In the next few weeks I will upload a video when the clock is restored for all to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent