Black Forest Wag on Wall

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Splord, May 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Splord

Splord Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    I'm hoping someone can tell me something about this Black Forest clock. I believe it's a wag-on-wall clock that was put into an early tall case clock case a long time ago. The dial appears to be original, but has been repainted. I'm looking for the approximate age of the movement. If someone can decipher the signature on the back of the mvoement and knows anything about the maker, that would be terrific. Looking for any and all opinions. Thank you!
    IMG_1767.JPG IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1772.JPG IMG_1773.JPG IMG_1774.JPG 0518191254.jpg

Malhotte likes this.
  2. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really nice old clock. I would put the age at 1860 to 1870. I have yet to find a makers name on any of the ones I've seen. Most were cottage industry made. Meaning that during the winter when village farmers had a lot less work they made different parts for these clocks. In the spring the parts were gathered in a central location, where they were assembled usually by the village blacksmith. Most likely the works, dial, pendulum, and weights were purchased by a third party who installed it in the case for resale. The name you have on the works is probably that of a repairman or retailer. The works looks to be an eight day.

Splord likes this.
  3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Could you post a sharper photo of the signature? The one you have posted is blurry when I enlarge it.

As for the rest, I agree with Joseph Bautsch.

JTD

4. Splord

Splord Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Unfortunately, this is a clear/sharp picture of the signature. The ink has bled into the wood to make it look fuzzy. If you had the clock in front of you you'd see the same thing.

5. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Something else I just noticed is that there looks to be a wire gong on top of the works for the strike. I have overhauled a number of these 8 day BF wood frame clocks and I have never seen a wire gong used in that manner. A wire gong on the inside back plate is quite common but not on top. Can you provide a photo of the top showing the gong? I suspect the original was a bell that has been replaced with a gong.

6. Splord

Splord Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Joseph,
    I suspect you are right about the gong. Here's some pictures. There was an unused hole in the top of the case underneath the gong base, probably where the bell was mounted. The hammer arm also looks replace as it's a dissimilar metal (newer). Thank you for looking!! IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1776.JPG

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Well, the best I can say is that it the signature might be Karl Rauth. It's not an uncommon name but without being able to see more clearly, I could not be sure.

Others may have ideas.

JTD

8. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That looks to be a gong and base for a kitchen (gingerbread) clock. Also looks to have been there for quite a while. If it were my clock I would replace that with a bell and the correct hammer. I would fill the screw holes with wood pegs and blend the color in with a touch of wood dye. Find a bell on the internet a bit larger than the circle that is there now. I would not settle for one of the cast iron but but find one that has a bronze content. A little harder to find and a bit more expensive but they are out there. This is a really nice clock and deserves the better sound from a good bell. If you look long enough you can also find the correct style hammer and rod to put the bell and strike back to as close to original as possible. The metal riser for the bell is usually a rod with a threaded end for the bell to mount on. The other end is usually filed down to a point like a square cut nail. I drill a hole in the top about half the diameter of the rod and drive the rod into it to lock it in place. The tip of the point should just show through underneath. The hole should be drilled in the top so that the bell sits in the center.

9. Splord

Splord Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Thank you JTD! Is there any information available for Karl Rauth?

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Not as far as I know. These signatures on black forest clocks were often just names of men who collected the clocks from outworkers and brought them to the wholesalers. They marked them so the wholesalers knew who had brought how many. Or he could have been an owner.

JTD

11. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Or a repairman. There's no way to know.