Black Forest Picture Frame Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by gleber, Jan 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 gleber, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    I just picked up this little Black Forest Picture Frame clock at Merritt's yesterday. It has a nice reverse painted glass dial. It came without pendulum or weights but otherwise seems to be intact and original. It is pretty gummed up. I only see one tooth on the minute wheel that looks like it was repaired delicately by someone with some skill. Other than that, it seems to run with coaxing, so I'm hoping that it will be just fine after a cleaning and oiling.

Does anyone know what style pendulum and weights this would have used?

As usual, I also hope someone can provide the typical information like date and manufacturer or at least general region of manufacture. I cant find any markings other than "W.5536" in pencil on the inside of one of the doors. And it has a friction fit shim for the time adjustment inside a plastic/rubber bushing, which might help narrow things down?

Thanks,
    Tom

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That will be a good restoration project. Would like to see it when you have finished it.

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Burkhard Rasch, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Congrats,Tom! The eglomized glas face is sweet and by now You have enough experiance in handeling these BF movements! I´d leave both the face and the case alone,looks good with a little wear showing its age.Pendulum? a piece of iron wire with a bob of thin sheet brass,about 5cm diameter,with two tiny perforated flags bent backwards where the wire goes through;weights? the typical lead filled brass weights each between 500-600 gramms.Time? ca 1880+- 10years HTH
    Burkhard

4. Dittrich

Dittrich Registered User

May 28, 2010
    Ruhrgebiet /Germany
    As Burkhard and Kevin W. already have mentioned it will be a good
    restoration project.
    The only problem could be to determine the suitable chains and also to acquire these because antique chains are rare to get, meanwhile also in Germany.
    A proper pendulum for your BF picture frame clock ( Rahmenuhr ) with a small Schottenwerk could be like one of the three depicted.

Dittrich

attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks guys.

Burkhard - Thanks for the info. I do plan to keep the dial and frame as is. I have only cleaned them as you can see in the photos without Merritt's stickers. The only other I have done is to touch up the missing white paint in the back around the hands hole. Less is more :).

Dittirch - It did come with chains, so I am good there (you can see them peeking out at the bottom of the first photo). Thanks for the pendulum photos. I like the bottom one, which matches what Burkhard described.

I cleaned the pivot holes and wheels, reassembled and it still needs some coaxing to run. The strike will almost run with the weight suggested, but requires about 50% more to be reliable. The time side needs about 3 times that to even come close. The case has sagged in the front, so everything is slanted inside. The case is tight, and when I try to adjust it back, it binds even more. I did find one replaced bushing in the front plate, but I don't know whether that was done before or after the sagging. I think it's going to take a little more fiddling and fine tuning to get this one sorted. I don't hang these by the hole in the back, but I sit them on a bracket so the weight is distributed evenly on the bottom to avoid the sagging front.

Tom