Black Forest Oil Painting Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Joseph Bautsch, Feb 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Attached are photios of a Black Forest thirty hour wood frame oil painting clock I recently acquired. The painting is on a sheet of tin zink and is 9 5/8" wide and 11 3/4" tall. It has a 4 3/4" bronze bell for the alarm and uses a wire gong to strike the hour. The photos show the frame mostly cleaned up and all the parts to be cleaned up. There are no missing or broken parts in the works and even with the rust it should polish up run nicely. The painting frame is missing but I have alkready found a really nice one for it at a thrift store. I will have the painting restored when the clock is up and running. At last count I have eight of these black forest wood frame clocks from eight day to thirty hour wood shield and cuckoo. But this is the first oil painting picture frame in my collection. I will post photos of the restoration process in the wood works forum. I think that is where they should go. If not let me know which forum to use.

0-3.jpeg 0-4.jpeg 0-5.jpeg 0-6.jpeg

2. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someday I hope to have a coo like that. I have quite a few, (probably to many). Nice clock
    tom

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The oil painted face of the clock is quite unusual. What are your plans for restoring it?

Uhralt

4. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll save the restoration of the painting for last. Probably send it to Kathy at The Dial House. Right now I'm getting the works cleaned up to get it up and running, following that I will make a new frame for the painting. It will be several months to get that much done. I'm not in a hurry.

5. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is an update on the restoration of the Black Forest Oil Painting Clock I've been working on. The first photo is the restored works, cleaned, rust removed, and brass polished. The works are now keeping good time. I constructed a wall bracket to support the wood frame of the works as well as the painting frame. The hands were steel and badly rusted, to the extent the minute hand broke when trying to move it to the correct time. I traced out the pattern on .032" brass and cut out new hands, hour hand as well and blackened. It has an alarm that is different from the usual turning of the center alarm dial to set it to go off. This one has a taper pin that is inserted into one of the perimeter holes of the alarm dial to set the alarm time. It does not strike the half hour and uses a wire gong for the hour. The alarm however uses a bell. I was able to find a real nice silver bronze 4.5" bell on line that works really great. I found a frame for the painting in a thrift store for $5. After cutting it down its a good fit and I think it goes well with the painting. The painting has not been restored and due to the cost because of its size it maybe some time before that is done.

Picture Frame Clock 1.jpeg Picture Frame Clock 2.jpeg Picture Frame Clock 3.jpeg

wcampbell and Kevin W. like this.