Black Forest Jockele Clock

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
A new acquisition is this Back Forest Jockele porcelain-front wall clock. The front is 4 3/4" tall and is hand painted, with the picture on top outlined with a transfer but hand-colored. The movement box is 3" high by 2 1/4" wide. It's time only, but these sometimes also had strike and/or alarm trains. The plates are wood and the wheels are brass with steel arbors. I think it dates to about 1870-1880. Does anyone know whether these Jockele clocks had a standard pendulum length, and what the typical bob looked like (size, material, weight)? More often seen is the Schottenuhr, a larger variety, with fronts about 8" high and movement boxes about 4" by 4 1/2".
IMG_5437.JPG IMG_5440.JPG IMG_5447.JPG

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
I have one of those here somewhere the pendulum is just a wire with a hollow thin punched brass flower as the bob.
The pendulum seemed quite long for the clock about 7-8 inches? and very little weight.
I will see if I can find mine its been a while since I saw it.
Dan

Reactions: Jeremy Woodoff

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Are you sure that it’s a Jockele clock? It looks like a Sorg-uhr clock, except with brass gears, a chain drive, and a porcelain front.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am surprised this was available for so long. Did you buy from Lindy Larson? If so you got a nice price, compared to what they sell for in Germany.
I thought they take a novelty clock pendulum, readily available. There should be plenty of pics of these on the internet.
Someone else here had one a couple years ago. You can cut a piece of leather an pin it to the top.

Here are a couple Sorguhrs. Including an interesting one in a case.

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Thanks for that link, Chris, it's a site I didn't know about. The jockele clock is from Lindy Larson's list, and it wasn't available for a long time. In fact, I saw the list a few minutes after it came through on my email, and I didn't hesitate a second to make the purchase. I also have a miniature example, which is even smaller than a sorg-uhr, having plate dimensions of just 2" by 1 3/4". Unfortunately, all that's left of it is the movement box, carved wood front with brass ring bezel for the dial, and one wheel of the motion work. The back is stamped F.X. Faller. It's pictured, from the back, in Justin Miller's book "Rare and Unusual Black Forest Clocks."

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Thanks for that link, Chris, it's a site I didn't know about. The jockele clock is from Lindy Larson's list, and it wasn't available for a long time. In fact, I saw the list a few minutes after it came through on my email, and I didn't hesitate a second to make the purchase. I also have a miniature example, which is even smaller than a sorg-uhr, having plate dimensions of just 2" by 1 3/4". Unfortunately, all that's left of it is the movement box, carved wood front with brass ring bezel for the dial, and one wheel of the motion work. The back is stamped F.X. Faller. It's pictured, from the back, in Justin Miller's book "Rare and Unusual Black Forest Clocks."
So then what happened to the miniature Sorg-uhr, if all that remains is the movt. Box?

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
I am surprised this was available for so long. Did you buy from Lindy Larson? If so you got a nice price, compared to what they sell for in Germany.
I thought they take a novelty clock pendulum, readily available. There should be plenty of pics of these on the internet.
Someone else here had one a couple years ago. You can cut a piece of leather an pin it to the top.

Here are a couple Sorguhrs. Including an interesting one in a case.
Also thanks for the link, the one in the box case is most likely a single weight, rope drive, time & strike Sorg-uhr made about 1820-30.

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
So then what happened to the miniature Sorg-uhr, if all that remains is the movt. Box?
I still have it in its unrestored form, though I added a paper dial. It came with the aluminum side doors, which I assume are replacements.

IMG_5455.JPG IMG_5456.JPG IMG_5457.JPG IMG_5459.JPG

Last edited:

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
A new acquisition is this Back Forest Jockele porcelain-front wall clock. The front is 4 3/4" tall and is hand painted, with the picture on top outlined with a transfer but hand-colored. The movement box is 3" high by 2 1/4" wide. It's time only, but these sometimes also had strike and/or alarm trains. The plates are wood and the wheels are brass with steel arbors. I think it dates to about 1870-1880. Does anyone know whether these Jockele clocks had a standard pendulum length, and what the typical bob looked like (size, material, weight)? More often seen is the Schottenuhr, a larger variety, with fronts about 8" high and movement boxes about 4" by 4 1/2".
View attachment 653228 View attachment 653229 View attachment 653230
The pendulum of my Jockele clock is made from a steel wire, about 9" long. The bob is a brass disc with a diameter of about 1.5 ", about 1mm thick, and is located at about 8" of the wire. The pendulum looks similar to the pendulum of an 8-day Black Forest clock, only much smaller.

Uhralt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller