• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Black Forest, French...and who is this guy?

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
I received a call to look to restoring a music box. When I arrived I found this beautiful clock and music box combination. The case is all carved and is in two sections. The upper part, the hunter and the clock, are removed to get access to a 13", eight tune music box. The music box can be played for entertainment (playing all eight tunes and then shutting off), continuously playing the same tune at each hour, or advancing one tune each hour. The way it works is the music box is tripped to play a tune before the clock begins its hour strike sequence on a bell. Although it has no markings on the movement, I believe that it is French. The plates are 4" in diameter. The caved case screams Black Forest yet is unmarked. Amazing detail. It appears to be custom carved for this clock movement and this mechanical music device. It all just fits.

What can you tell me about this clock and case? I have done searches but find nothing like it. Is this hunter a folk hero?

Attachments

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I received a call to look to restoring a music box. When I arrived I found this beautiful clock and music box combination. The case is all carved and is in two sections. The upper part, the hunter and the clock, are removed to get access to a 13", eight tune music box. The music box can be played for entertainment (playing all eight tunes and then shutting off), continuously playing the same tune at each hour, or advancing one tune each hour. The way it works is the music box is tripped to play a tune before the clock begins its hour strike sequence on a bell. Although it has no markings on the movement, I believe that it is French. The plates are 4" in diameter. The caved case screams Black Forest yet is unmarked. Amazing detail. It appears to be custom carved for this clock movement and this mechanical music device. It all just fits.

What can you tell me about this clock and case? I have done searches but find nothing like it. Is this hunter a folk hero?
That's quite an object!!

The carving is often called "Black Forest". In fact, much of this better quality 19th century carving is from the Interlaken Region of Switzerland.

See this previously posted link: https://www.antiquesjournal.com/flip.../files/41.html

The manufacturer of the music box is noted at the top of the list of "airs" played as B.A. Bremond, a firm from Geneve, Switzerland.

See this link for more info about Bremond: http://www.mmdigest.com/Archives/Digests/201007/2010.07.20.03.html

Note the list of "airs" played by the music box also says conveniently states "Frabrique de Geneve".

So, all fits together rather well as a Swiss carving housing a Swiss music box. Probably is a French movement. I would speculate it was a French ebauche finished by by whomever put it all together in Geneve.

I'm not sure, but I believe the carving probably depicts a generic Alpine hunter or mountain man. Very high quality. Just wonderful. Definately way better than most of these clocks which also celebrated hunting and hunting tropies but with dead birds and chamois.

RM

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
Thanks for the tour of that ! rmarkowitz1 is spot on with his info. Johann Huggler did work of that quality in Brienz. Go all over it looking for a makers mark.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
As RM says, probably a generic hunter and, in fact, the clock (Horloge) is called "Chasseur," in English, "Hunter." A maker's mark for the movement might lie behind the bell. Just "might."

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
Thanks for the French lesson!

I have received a letter from Huggler, Holzbildhauerei AG verifying that the carving is by Johann Huggler. A little research tells me that this is an important clock. I am trying to find out who commissioned the piece. It is a one of a kind.

Talyinka

May 14, 2011
England
Country
Interesting clock.

To venture a guess the hunter could very well be Wilhelm Tell. He is depicted similarly in several paintings.

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
This is great news, f.webster ! Now you just have to convince the owner some hippies broke in to your shop, and would you believe it, they only took that carved clock ! Good luck.......

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Interesting clock.

To venture a guess the hunter could very well be Wilhelm Tell. He is depicted similarly in several paintings.
H'mmm....I ain't the expert BUT I don't think the ID stands up.

Wilhelm (William) Tell was a legendary 13-14th century Swiss marksman who symbolized the resistance to the Hapsburg Empire's rule over Switzerland. He is a hero to the Swiss. Yep, he's the guy who shot the apple off his son's head.

He is typically depicted in dress appropriate for the time he supposedly lived (there's debate about whether he really existed) with a CROSS BOW.

Well, to my eyes, this hunter on the clock is dressed in a very 19th Century fashion and is carrying what appears to be a double barreled shot gun.

Though Wilhelm Tell would be an appropriate figure to place on a clock case carved in Switzerland, I don't believe that is who is depicted.

I still think he's a more Alpine hunter or woodsman.

Thanks for the French lesson!

I have received a letter from Huggler, Holzbildhauerei AG verifying that the carving is by Johann Huggler. A little research tells me that this is an important clock. I am trying to find out who commissioned the piece. It is a one of a kind.

Now that's great information!

Great piece of 19th century sculpture.

I would make room amongst my myriad American clocks for that.

May be I'll disguise myself as a hippy and break into your shop?

RM

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I agree with RM - generic 19th century hunter, not Wilhelm Tell.

Interesting news from/about Huggler. If they have identified this carving as one of theirs, might their records show when and/or for whom it was made?

Lovely clock - congratulations!

JTD

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
Note: If someone takes one or more of your clocks, or someone breaks into your shop... RM and Senhalls had that thought in their minds.

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
I'd have gone with Rip Van Winkle if it were an American clock.

Talyinka

May 14, 2011
England
Country
You are probably right regarding the subject. I know he made a quite similar carving of a poacher because it was sold here in the UK a while ago (at a price far above the valuation). I think it was from around 1880.

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
Yes, Mr Webster..............just where in Louisville ? And how heavy would you say it is ? I may need to bring help ! Best wishes.................oh, how much work did the music box require ? It looks like a fresh restore from the picture. Perhaps an after photo.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brunettis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit