• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Black Forest Cuckoo Clock

HUDD

Apr 11, 2004
St. Albans, UK
Country
Region
Here are a few pictures of my wife's grandmother's cuckoo clock. I've been promising to fix it for nearly 3 years now so I finally bit the bullet. Apart from a badly replaced pivot to the going train second wheel ( looks like a machined down screw thread but it is polished and hasn't damaged the pivot hole ), some slightly bent "spokes" to the going train 3rd wheel and a loose cap to the going train spring barrel it looks to be in good order.
The barrel cap has a tapered edge and the corresponding barrel is machined with a groove to accept the cap. I haven't come across this particular design before and it looks as though the tapered edge of the cap will be damaged if I try forcing the cap into position. Is there a different way to fit the barrel cap without fear of damage ? I would also be interested if some kind person could advise the age of this clock ?

Mike Img_0009.jpg Img_0011a.jpg Img_0017.jpg Img_0033.jpg

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Some of these caps are hard to relocate back in place. For future reference, try marking the caps and the barrel they come off of. Barrel will distort after time and it's important that they go back on the same way they came off. I use a small wood mallet. Some times I have to put them in a vice with soft jaws. Clamp down half and then smack the other half with the mallet to pop it into place. Vice jaws will damage the surface if you don't use soft jaws.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Is that tiny spring in your last picture out of one of those barrels? I use small clamps to put the cap back on, working one clamp around until the cap is snug all the way around, while holding a spot close to the hole tight with a second clamp. At one point you feel a snap as the cap is fitted in place.

HUDD

Apr 11, 2004
St. Albans, UK
Country
Region
Thanks Tinker for the dating. This clock is out of my normal sphere of activity, and I confess it has posed numerous problems not least the spring barrel caps. I have however got the new springs in their respective barrels and fitted the caps as per R&A's advice. Next time ( if there is a next time ! ) I shall give Harold's clamping method a go. Anyway, after a narrow squeek with a broken pinion ( one tooth broken off due I think to fatigue ) I managed to replace using a 6mm dia x 10 leaf steel pinion from and old movement, the movement complete with cuckoo is now reassembled and running well. I shall get on with the case repairs now whilst I time the movement.
Oh, that old spring ? It came from a Hamilton 3992B that I managed to buy recently and overhauled a week ago. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

HUDD

Apr 11, 2004
St. Albans, UK
Country
Region
So much for thinking I had got this clock sorted !!! Not long before it began stopping. Sometimes after a couple of hours and sometimes after half a day. Seems the pallet pivot holes had worn more than I thought and the pallet engagement with the escape wheel was too deep. Got that sorted then one of the bellows hinges split. Not sure if that was old age or my ineptitude. Anyway, repaired that. Then the clock would strike out of sequence after running just fine for a couple of days, but seems to have righted itself now ( fingers crossed ) ? Why do I get this feeling my mother in law is trying to tell me something ?

Anyway, Here are a couple of pictures with a couple of questions. Firstly can anyone attribute a maker to this clock ? and secondly, is this the correct winding key ? I ask because it looks too industrial, and a smaller replacement key I have needs too much wrist power to wind up these large mainsprings ?

Mike
IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
It does not look original. I'd stay with the wider key.
The original was most likely cast iron. It was most
likely lost or broken over the years.
Tinker Dwight

HUDD

Apr 11, 2004
St. Albans, UK
Country
Region
It does not look original. I'd stay with the wider key.
The original was most likely cast iron. It was most
likely lost or broken over the years.
Tinker Dwight
Thanks Tinker I was worried that with the leverage this key offered I could possibly do some damage. I shall look out for a more suitable period key Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent