Black Forest Clock Co. Toronto

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bill Manders, Feb 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. Bill Manders

Bill Manders Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is one of the clocks I have had for some time, and over the period I have become quite proficient, ( I think ) at setting the beat on a clock by adjusting the crutch. but on this one I seem to be having a bit more trouble. It will go for about a minute, maybe 2, and then stop on me. Everything looks good within the movement, no excessive play etc., anywhere.
    Is there something else I should be looking at, that is normally as easy as that adjustment, or is it likely I have just lost my touch ?
    This is really a nice clock and is a Westminster chime, would love to get it going. I say all this keeping in mind my watch/clock repair skills on a level of ten is about -5. I am also missing the domed glass front, if someone knows where they can be found please let me know.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Bill

IMG_3627 (600 x 450).jpg IMG_3630.jpg IMG_3628.jpg

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A nice Toronto made clock from the 1930's. Seems you are missing the pendulum, which would make beat setting difficult. The bezels often go missing on these as there is not a lot holding them in place. It would be difficult to find a replacement.

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have had good luck getting domed face glass from jrclocker on eBay below is one his items which is 5 inch diameter. I have no idea what size you need, but jrclocker usually has just about any size and accepts messages for a request for a particular diameter.

http://www.ebay.com/ item number 192060006389

There are also other vendors on eBay you will find by searching 'clock face glass'. The measurement you need to make is quite precise and tricky. The face glass can be ordered in increments of 1/16 of an inch and often that last 1/16th matters. And the size is not the inside diameter of the bezel. You have to subtract a little for how it is mounted. You may have to try a couple close ones to see what is right.

4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the problem is that the bezel appears to be missing, if that is the other side of the hinge I am seeing.

David

5. Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold,
    I do have the pendalum, I had just taken it off as i was moving ther clock around.
    David,
    I also have the bezel, I had tried to fit a flat glass into it and of course the hands hit it, but I do have it.
    Thanks for the fast responses from you guys, and I will likely contact that fellow and see what he has.
    Thanks again to both of you,
    Bill

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you only need the glass, try Timesavers. You just need a good measurement for proper fit.
    www.timesavers.com

7. Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Harold.

8. Jaap

Jaap Registered User

Mar 6, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Hi Bill, When the glass is a little to wide you can grind it down on a bench grinder.
    Please go slow, do not let too much heat build up, otherwise it can crack. Take your time and do a lot of measuring. I have done it myself, when I was winding a clock the glass fell down on the floor.

Best of luck.

Jaap

9. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    attachment.jpg

I have a Blackforest time-only clock from the late 1930s with a similar dial/numerals. The hands on yours look a little odd for the period and may or may not be original. Mine takes convex glass and if you are in Canada, Perrin supplies the glass. As you probably know Blackforest changed their name to Forestville after the Second War.

Ron

RS Refinished case (7).jpg

10. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On setting the beat: Is the crutch difficult to move? Sometimes the friction joint where the crutch joins the pallet arbor becomes loose and slips too easily, and once you set the beat and start it running, it slips on it's own and causes the clock to get out of beat. If oil is on that joint, it will slip. Sometimes the arbor must be removed, cleaned, and staked so it cannot slip. Are you sure it is perfectly in beat?

11. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
  12. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    It isn't clear that you had this particular clock running.
    If all the parts seem to be in good order it may be that the
    main spring has got dried grease and needs to be cleaned and
    relubed.
    I'm assuming that the movement has clean and properly oiled
    pivots and hasn't been sprayed with something like WD-40.
    Tinker Dwight

13. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    #13 MINI, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    hi Bill.. Sorry about being a bit late to the party but I'm wondering if you ever got this movement running and if you ever identified who the manufacturer was? I have the identical movement in a Blackforest Clock from the early-mid 1930's that i need to repair (or replace) one of the chime gears. As can be seen in the photo, those pinions? are bent and causing the chime gear to catch on them and the little mounting 'nipple' on the end is broken off. Apologies if i've use the wrong terminology for those parts. Other than that, the clock worked fine prior to this problem occurring.

DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 shutterbug, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    It is a lantern pinion, but the small pins inside are called trundles. There is information on how to replace them in one of the stickies on top of the forum. Here's one that will help.

MINI likes this.
  15. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You will also need advice on how to replace the "nipple". The 'nipple is called a pivot and the process of replacing one is called "re-pivoting". You will find may threads dealing with the issue when you search for the term in this forum. It is more challenging to replace a pivot than the trundles.

Uhralt

MINI likes this.
  16. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Those are both excellent tutorials and thank you for correcting my improper terminology! Now i need to decide whether or not I'm brave enough to attempt this....

Btw... is anyone able to identify who may have manufactured that movement? I know that the Blackforest Clock Company tended to source their movements from Germany in the '30s but that's as much as i know.

17. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    No one able to identify the manufacturer?

18. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Westminster chime clock shown in the original post utilizes a Friedrich Mauthe movement, distinctive by the inverse positions of the chime and strike trains and the brass cylindrical gong block on a pedestal.

19. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Excellent. That answers the question. Mine is identical to the photo in the first post so then it is a Mauthe movement.