Black Forest Clock Book

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by John Teeter, Feb 9, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. John Teeter

John Teeter Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Jan 31, 2001
    The book"A Brief History of the Black Forest Clock" by Heimut Kahiert, Richard Mule, and Magdalina Zeeler was recently favorably reviewed in Clocks Mag. I would like to find a source where I could purchase a copy. I have tried E-mailing the publisher, Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, and have gotten no reply. I also tried the Rita Shenton Company. They did not have any knowledge of it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. John Teeter

John Teeter Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Jan 31, 2001
    The book"A Brief History of the Black Forest Clock" by Heimut Kahiert, Richard Mule, and Magdalina Zeeler was recently favorably reviewed in Clocks Mag. I would like to find a source where I could purchase a copy. I have tried E-mailing the publisher, Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, and have gotten no reply. I also tried the Rita Shenton Company. They did not have any knowledge of it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    I purchased a copy of the book last weekend from Steve Burger at the Greater LA Regional. He had a stack of them at $20 each. You might try him at Time Savers in Arizona.

On the other hand, here's the ISBM number: 3-922673-11-2. You could try other sources.

It's a nice booklet of twenty pages on nice heavy stock with crisp color photos of clocks and scenes that I have not seen elsewhere.

I have no interest financial or otherwise in Steve Burger's Time Savers Business.

4. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wrote the review indicated, that is, "German clock books" on pages 10 and 22 of the November 2004 issue of CLOCKS, after having been sent a review copy by the Museum. The booklet by the way is also available in German and French. It's important to stress, however, that this review wasn't only about the booklet. Rather, and frankly speaking, it was about the pathetic situation that has developed whereby easily the best volumes about Black Forest clocks are frequently not even cited let alone recognised by English-only speakers because they're not in English. Which leaves the exception such as Tyler and little else.The _A Brief History_ little volume however is a quality volume that was in English and at a very low price. The authors, Kahlert, Mühe and Zeller are experts, and so on. As far as where to get the volume, it _is_ please note as indicated in the review a publication of the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, in Furtwangen. If you're not sure if they got your on-site order, do phone them or fax or email at the numbers indicated on their site. They're competent and friendly too. It took a bit for Steve's order to arrive. Regards, Doug Stevenson
    (P.S. Les, should I see if the review can be posted here -- what think thee?)

5. BLACK FOREST CLOCKS

BLACK FOREST CLOCKS Registered User

Dec 4, 2004
    Collector
    Schwarzwald USA
    Country Flag:
    If the book A Brief History of the Black Forest Clock" is selling for $20 each... that is a heavy mark up.

You can get them from the Deutches Uhren Museum for about $5... I guess then you have to ship them.

If I would have known they would sell for $20 in the states, I would have carried more back!

DUCK, you are correct about the best books on Black Forest Clocks not being printed in English.

We are realy hurting over here.

For the BEHA fan try the book,

"Auf Der Hohe" this book is Fantastic!

Almost 200 full color pages/ pictures of the best Beha clocks ever made.. real rare stuff!

For the collectors of Black Forest
    miniatures, "In Die Neue Zeit"

This book is packed with pictures and information on Jockele, Sorguhrs, once again all color... I have never seen a book cover Back Forest miniatures like this!

For the lover of Black Forest automatons the book "Figurenuhren aus dem Schwarzwald" by Juttemann is great.

It touches not only on just about every type of automaton made (every flavor of shield, figural, trumpeter, rooster etc.)

Not only are there pictures of the clocks, but also describes how it works.. the drawings of hundreds of movements and the function of the automation.

The best all round book for reference I have located is Benders, "Die Uhrenmacher des Schwarzwaldes und Werke" book 1 and 2. This is consiered the "Bible" of Black Forest clock books, but once again better sharpen up on your German.

6. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug, I assume that you have the review you wrote in machine readable format. Please post it to this Message Board.

A small correction to Eckmill, the book is actually 40 pages (not 20) but 20 dollars is a bit of a steep price, the museumshop in Furtwangen ( at www.deutsches-uhrenmuseum.de )charges 4Euros, which is about 5 dollars, plus postage, you are better off ordering directly from them.

Fortunat Mueller-MAerki
    Candidate for Director

7. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Review of the book discussed in this thread has been just posted as a seperate thread on this Horological books message board

Fortunat

8. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Fortunat for having posted the review
    of this volume (as another thread). Again, I'd strongly encourage all to get a copy. Regards,
    Doug in AZ 118804