• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Black Forest bracket clock ID?

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Recently acquired this bracket clock. The brass movement is stamped on the front plate "FURTWANGEN". The mahogany veneer case has brass inlay, and is 17" in height. I would date c. 1860. Someone will probably be able to ID, but you may enjoy the pics. The movement is held in the case by 3 small iron brackets. The door latches are shaped, the side doors have gothic design fretwork. Larger sized gong mounted on original spruce backboard. The pendulum is missing. Pics to follow.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The clock is interesting and presents a sort of enigma in my opinion.

The case style is one likely intended for the English trade as well as the style of the movement. (heavy plates, cut pinions) But the layout of the movement is clearly BF.

Does the case have what I see as hinges where the side panel joins the front in photo 2819? Too the gothic scrollwork side doors on the case were generally used when the case was to be fitted with a movement needing attention from the sides; not the kind of movement in the photos.

I can't think of LFS (Furtwangler) making this clock. Possibly it was put together by Badische, a union, I think, of several smaller clockmakers in Furtwangen around 1900.

JMO, Les

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Perhaps the side portals were to be opened to allow for greater amplification of the strike sound?

On the picture of the front of the movement, there are what appear to be markings at the top, slightly left of center. Are these meaningful markings, random markings, or a trick of the light from the picture?

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Les, your hunch about the clock being manufactured for the English market is correct. I had the clock imported from the UK, the clock is a product of ebay UK. The front and back doors are hinged. The side doors are typical BF attributes; in this clock borrowing from the English style with frets + cloth backing to allow the resonance of the strike to eminate from the case.

Steven, the markings on the plate are probably from a previous clockmaker.

I thought the clock would be somewhat easy to ID from a BF aficionado. Thank you for your opinions so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Great Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-