Birks and Sons Pocket watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Tanqboy, May 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. Tanqboy

Tanqboy New Member

May 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I'm trying to identify an open faced pocket watch that my spouse's great grandfather passed on. It's a Henry Birks and Sons, open faced silver pocket watch about 1 1/4" in diameter. When the back plate is opened and the movement exposed, it says it's Swiss, a 17 Jewel Birks Buckingham, Serial No. 1869302 and 0,9355 sterling silver.

I have looked online trying to identify it further, but my knowledge is pretty limited. Can anyone point me to the correct resources? Thank you.

watch1.jpg watch3.jpg watch3.jpg

Keith R... and viclip like this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the movement is made by Longines. I have a watch with same retailers name, and it has a Longines movement.

Keith R... likes this.
  3. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Tanqboy

Tanqboy New Member

May 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the information. Now I just have to get it running. I know it dates back to around the turn of last century. Have to say, I love the hands on it.

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad to help. The hands are called Louis XIV or filigree hands. They are not common but not rare.

Kevin W. and Keith R... like this.