Birge & Mallory, 8 Day

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Joseph Bautsch, Aug 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picked up this clock in the last couple of days. Its a Birge, Mallory & Co.; December 14, 1837 – November 24, 1843. It's in very good shape for its age. A few small pieces of veneer are missing and should be no problem repairing them. The dial and center glass are original. The bottom glass has been replaced but it was a long time ago, its replacement was most likely around the 1850's. The center reverse painting has about 25% of it missing. Someone used a news paper over the back of it as a fill. The works have several of the pivots punched. Whoever did it did a good job, none of then are lose or out of round and do not need to be re-bushed. Birge must have been tough to get along with, I found no less than eight different partnerships/clock businesses that he was involved in during his clock making career. His partnership with Mallory lasted all of six years. Most all of the Birge & Mallory clocks of this style I have seen have a top, towers often with a hand carved splat or a flat splat with a stenciled pattern. This one does not have that feature and I an wondering if I should put one of appropriate design back on it?

0.jpeg 0-1.jpeg 0-2.jpeg 0-3.jpeg 0-4.jpeg

C Anthony likes this.
  2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here are some ideas for cornices and or splats. I have 2 here that are missing their tops also. Must come off entirely too easy?

birge mallory 6.jpg birge mallory 5.jpg birge mallory 4.jpg birge mallory 3.jpg birge mallory 2.jpg birge mallory .jpg 20190807_144605 (2).jpg

3. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, thank you for the sample photos. The first one is very like the one I have just without the top and feet. I will work on restoring it to look like that. I have a carved splat that looks a lot like the one in photo number three. For me the carved splat was the hard part, the rest is wood working which I should be able to do. I appreciate the help. You got me going in the right direction.

4. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Attached is a photo of the carved splat I picked up on line to re-create the top.

s-l1600.jpg