Birge and Peck clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Charles Haynes, Jan 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Charles Haynes

Charles Haynes New Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Found this Birge and Peck clock this weekend at an auction. Was curious if I should do something to protect the reverse painted glass. Clear coat maybe. It is in very nice shape now. I am not an expert on clocks I think from what I found on the internet that this would date from 1849-1859. I believe the hands have been replaced as well as the pendulum. One of the weights is not hooked up I will try later this week to hook it up Thanks for any information on my clock

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    RE: "clear coating" the tablets to preserve them, I reply NO!!!
    Leave them alone. They've lasted this long without your "help".

RM

3. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock! The tablets need no "improvement". Enjoy them for what they are --which is quite nice! Would be interesting to see the works--I find Birge works to be interesting.
    Ray Rice

4. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board, and congratulations on this beautiful find! As long as you remove the pendulum and weights before moving the clock, the tablets should be fine. They are beautiful, and will likely stay that way for many more years.

5. Charles Haynes

Jan 23, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Ok. No clear coat. I thought because there is some slight flaking I should do something now to protect the paint. I’ll try and shoot a picture of the movement tomorrow. This is my first weighted clock. I’ve seen many with the paint all flaked off

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    By the way, I want to add that you got yourself a really nice clock!!

Great free hand geometric glasses. I have not seen the use of a stenciled border with that type of glass before. Do they look original?

You will find a strap brass movement.

RM

7. Charles Haynes

Jan 23, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I believe the glass paintings are original

image.jpg

8. Probox

Probox Registered User

Oct 27, 2015
    Public Housing Government
    Halifax Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice, and the movement nice and clean, must have been recently serviced.

9. Charles Haynes

Jan 23, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have put the weights on and it is running. I have a question on removing the weights when I want to move the clock
    Is there any easy way to lower the weights so I may remove them. Or do I have to wait until th clock runs down?
    Thank you

10. Probox

Probox Registered User

Oct 27, 2015
    Public Housing Government
    Halifax Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, there are a couple of methods. You understand that a clock should never be moved with the pendulum in place. With the weights, you can hold the back of the clock and tilt the clock on it's back so the weights lean on the back panel. (that's why you hold it like a baby in your arms so the panel doesn't break open) That's for a short quick move. Alternately you may open the back and remove the weights or lower them by using the click spring and holding the weight.

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Just realized something.

The center glass of this beautiful clock is really interesting.

The central field is a pattern attributed to Fenn. The use of a stenciled border in patterns reminiscent of those used by Fenn in combination with that central field is a treatment I have not seen before. I do not have access to Chris Bailey's 2 Fenn monographs to see if the borders are in one of those publications.

But what is really interesting is the addition of the free hand embellishment of the type used in the geometric glasses. To me, this kind of solidifies the assertion that Fenn produced both stenciled glasses and free hand geometric glasses! I now freely acknowledge that.

RM