BIRD DOOR AND MUSIC PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Renee Rienas Badall, Aug 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Renee Rienas Badall

Renee Rienas Badall New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I have a German coo coo clock. It has music in addition to the coo coo. (1) the door shuts and reopens with each coo coo, so if it’s 10 o’clock, the door opens and shuts 10times. (2) there is a clicking sound when the music plays.

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    The gathering pallet needs to be adjusted so it locks out and stays locked. The clicking sound maybe the butterfly hitting the lock out lever. if there is a plastic tube you may have to move it to in gauge the butter fly more. Or the wire that keeps the music from playing till the cuckoo is finished may need to be adjusted.

3. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's not the gathering pallet. There's a latch on the right-hand (3 o'clock side) of the movement that's supposed to catch the bird perch rod and keep the bird out and the door open during the strike. It's not doing its job, and needs adjusted. Sometimes there's a window on the side of the clock that lets you see that part of the mechanism.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #4 Willie X, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Cuckoo's have several very different mechanisms to hold the door open. Some are easier to understand than others but a photo of the front of the movement would be necessary for troubleshooting. I'm guessing you have a
    40 to 50 year old clock there?

The clicking is usually caused by a craked plastic gear. Look closely at the little shaft that holds the MB fan/fly. It is often driven by a white plastic gear, look closely at that gear and you will probably see a small radial crack.

Your MB and main cuckoo movement will need to be removed to repair and service it. Not easy, even pros have trouble with cuckoos!
    Good luck, Willie X

5. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    How do you know it's not the gathering pallet.

6. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The gathering pallet job is to count the teeth on the rack, not to lock the bird in place, the locking for the bird needs to be adjusted.

7. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    U 2 must work on allot of cuckoo clocks

8. chezwilly

chezwilly Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2002
    If it is a Schatz cuckoo then the cuckoo door is designed to open and close at every cuckoo. I agree with R&A on the possible clicking sound.

Willy

9. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yep, the plastic gear split, usually on one side. Eventually it will quit. Problem is the cuckoo and music box are all interdependent of other.

There was a recent post about this kind of repair where one can buy that gear. If you plan to replace the gear yourself keep in mind that you can simply bend the metal with needle nose to make room to pull out the gear. The plastic gear is friction fit so it will slide off.

10. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    posted from member dickstorer

Chick, nylon MB worm wheels are available at BFI.

11. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 bangster, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Not so. When properly adjusted, the Schatz keeps the door open during the strike. (I learned that from Dave LaBounty).
    See THIS post.

12. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Okay so what do you do if it's a regula movement We don't even know what movement it is. The cam on the inside of the movement if a Regula needs to be vertical and the locking lever needs to be all the way into the gather pallet so the warning pin locks as soon as it drops into it. If the cam is to high, it will lift and the door will keep opening and shutting every time it goes to lock out. Not allowing the lever to lock out into the gathering pallet. So yes if you adjust the gathering pallet it will change the position of the cam and all will be good.

RJSoftware likes this.
  13. chezwilly

chezwilly Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2002
    I misspoke. The door on a Schatz remains open meanwhile the cuckoo bird goes in and out for each cuckoo. On a Herr and Regula the bird stays out during cuckooing.

Willy

14. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Plus the gathering pallet is on the same arbor that has the cam that has to be vertical when locked out. The cam is on the inside of the movement. When it lifts it will hold the bird out with the door open and when it locks out it disengages and the bird pops back in. If that help on a Regula movement adjustment

15. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    More like 45 degrees, the rocker lever sits on lowest point of the cam that's is between the plates, the cam is on the gathering pallet arbor, when the strike train runs the cam lifts the rocker lever which in turn pulls the vertical lever the bird rides on allowing the bird to move out, the rocker lever is locked by another lever inside the plates.

The gathering pallet counts off the cuckoo's then lets the rack hook to drop which in turn slaps the locking lever releasing the rocker lever allowing the bird to snap back in.

This is the way Regula movements work, usually the bird lock works pretty well, problems can happen if the rack hook spring is missing or broken then the cuckoo won't shut off consistently.

hubert Herr is a bit different, Schatz yes the door is supposed to lock open and the bird moves in and out, but they can be problematic, specially if someone has sprayed something in the clock.

16. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd still prefer a non-nylon part.

17. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now that I think of it, I recall filing notch just a touch on one of those locking lever, that cured the problem. Also I recall the cuckoo would not stop as it should before the filing. I remember thinking a delicate balance between no lock or stuck. Pretty sure it was a regula, with that odd looking black plastic smooth wheel thing. Junky was my impression.

18. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yea, me too. I'm no fan of plastic. I dont even know who Bfi is, thought maybe one of you alls would provide a link. They might have metal ones too.

19. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nylon is good in situations of high wear occurrence but is next to useless when pushed onto a metal shaft.

It may be possible to close the gap somewhat by various methods but from experience, this often only results in greater failure.

20. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I believe that at a 45 degree the bird will come out on warning and will lift < I would not want this

21. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #21 bangster, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Black Forest Industries (or something like that).

Later correction: Imports. (You'd think I'd remember.)

22. bkerr

bkerr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Male
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Canal Fulton,OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I purchased some of these from Black Forrest Imports, could not find any where else. Common problem is that the nylon or plastic of some sort splits over time and renders the mb useless. Much less money than replacing the mb, the one I priced was $100.00.

Regards

23. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, thats usually a deal breaker

24. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have another look, I usually set this so the rocker lever is at the lowest point on the internal cam, this is about 30-40degs from the horizontal, when on warning there is no lift of the rocker lever, only when the train starts to run at full speed will the bird be pushed out.

25. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    You did or you want me to ?? Have another look

26. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Was reviewing this thread for something else, and noticed the discussion about plastic gears on the movement. Maybe it would be worth some time when replacing a worn out movement to go ahead and strip it for some of the parts you could use later, like E-clips that go flying away or dropping on the floor, metal gears when they were used, to replace the plastic ones, little springs, wave washers used on movements with dancer tables, etc.? T'would save a lot of trouble, fuss, and money. Just saying..................................gary;)