Billodes Pocket Watch - Help

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Dreamer-Amy1984, May 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Dreamer-Amy1984

Dreamer-Amy1984 New Member

May 11, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I have been handed down a pocket watch that is stamped Billodes but I can't seem to find a lot of information online about them?
    I searched the forum and some posts suggested they are cheap and brass but the case appearance looks and is stamped with 18k
    Does anybody know any history on the pocket watch and what it's rough value would be for insurance?
    Thank you, I am new and hoping this post is ok

IMG_20200510_131137.jpg IMG_20200510_131557.jpg IMG_20200510_131614.jpg IMG_20200510_131633.jpg IMG_20200510_131736.jpg

2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably Swiss
    I would be suspicious if it was 18K solid gold case. It is probably gold filled and more likely 14K gold filled

We are not supposed to discuss values on message board - share information on the items

This thread should be moved to European pocket watches for better exposure - hopefully the moderator will do it.

Andy Dervan

3. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Billodes watches were made around 1900 by Georges Favre Jacot factory in LeLocle, currently Zenith. Very nice watch it seems to be...

4. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I too am suspicious of the 18K designation, even though the case cover in photo #3 does also have a punch of the Helvetia head in profile - the Swiss assay mark for 18K gold. The case cover looks over-polished to me, and the Helvetia head is correspondingly worn; the 18K punch is sharp and fresh but is not properly centred within the cover and nor is the serial number. I'm not saying that this is not 18K gold ... but I would not rely on the punches to determine that it is ;) If the watch value is important to you, I would suggest you go into a large pawnbroker and ask them if they have an electronic analyser, and if so ask them to test the case.

The movement looks low-to-medium grade to me and not in the best condition.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    A recent change in policy now allows value discussions in any of the forums. So, her request is proper.

6. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement is higher grade Billodes. Which does not mean it’s super high grade, as Billodes was a mid-grade brand itself. One must notice that GFJ was among the first mass-making plants in Switzerland and at the time Swiss mass made mvts were technologically interior to American - it is a pre-Zenith movement... but good enough.

7. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dreamer-Amy 1984, your watch may have great sentimental value but its market value probably is less than 150 pounds unless the case is solid gold, in which case it would be worth about what a gold scrapper would pay for the case, which might be up to 1000 pounds, or even more, depending on the gold content. Even if the watch has a solid gold case, I doubt it is worth enough to bother about insurance.

For recent sale prices of Billodes pocket watches on eBay, see Billodes pocket watch for sale | eBay.

8. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case is hall marked for 18K gold so it is very likkely to be solid gold. The marking "18k" has no significance but the stamped woman's head looks a lot like the real Helvetica hallmark. A closer look may show it to be fraudulent but I doubt Zenith would have done such a thing.

eri231 likes this.
  9. Dreamer-Amy1984

May 11, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    #9 Dreamer-Amy1984, May 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2020
    Ooo, this may have been me, they were in my Mums loft for a very long time so I gave them a polish.

10. Dreamer-Amy1984

May 11, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you everybody for your feedback. It is the case that seems to course confusions I think? I will keep it safe and take it to see if it is gold once things are a bit more back to normal here, out of curiosity more than anything

pmwas likes this.
  11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No, it wasn't you. One polish doesn't do it - it needs to have been polished regularly over the years for any 'over polishing' to become evident. So you can blame your Mum (probably)!

JTD