Big USA Wall clock.

goshop

Aug 1, 2009
THAILAND
Country
MY USA wall clock. height 150 m. Someone who know about detail of it Help me plz.. Thank you very much.

53.jpg 54.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
goshop, your "USA" wall clock took a roundabout route, as it was made in Japan, around 1900.

DBPhelps

Nov 26, 2002
Country
Region
I'm confused...isn't it a Ansonia "Capitol" spring driven time & strike, ca. 1901.:???:

D

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I'm confused...isn't it a Ansonia "Capitol" spring driven time & strike, ca. 1901.:???:

D
That's what I would have said. But let's hear Harold's reasoning. He has apparently seen something we didn't.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I was thinking that the A with Trade Mark was Japanese, but on looking a bit harder, I find that Ansonia did use this on some of their dials. Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps a look at the movement would clear the picture. Also, I didn't see the beat plaque when I posted.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Charles Davis' article in the latest Bulletin shows a similar, Japanese trademark, an "A" inside a square, inside a diamond, not unlike the Ansonia. He lists it as unknown. You often find the word trademark used with Japanese logos. Easy to confuse.

DBPhelps

Nov 26, 2002
Country
Region
I have a Ansonia "Capitol" time only weight driven that I may post a picture of. My daughter wanted a clock for her living room so I "loaned" her the Capitol and how she has laid claim to it and won't give it back. Oh well! At least when I go visit and can see the clock as well.

D

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
If the dial was removed and pictures of the movement shown it would help to confirm id.

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
This is a very common Ansonia logo. Also, the bottom of the dial has the line "Manufactured by the Ansonia Clock Co...." I can't see why the authenticity of this clock is being questioned.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
My mistake, Jeremy. You are correct, I should have looked closer. I made the assumption that having Trade Mark on the logo was a Japanese feature.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have the same A symbol on my Ansonia gingerbread.
Just thought seeing the movement would help others if they were not sure.But Jeremy you are right from what i see.:)

goshop

Aug 1, 2009
THAILAND
Country
Thank you very much all gentlemen for your good informations to me. I unknow about this wall clock more. I want to know about the date when Japan mixes Ansonia and if this logo made in Japan why this logo is old.I had see logo on the dial which has similar this logo.I can't take out dial to show because to take out so hard.this case is hight 150 cm.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Thank you very much all gentlemen for your good informations to me. I unknow about this wall clock more. I want to know about the date when Japan mixes Ansonia and if this logo made in Japan why this logo is old.I had see logo on the dial which has similar this logo.I can't take out dial to show because to take out so hard.this case is hight 150 cm.
Short of seeing the movement for verification, I think the current consensus is that the clock is actually by Ansonia. The Japanese copied American movements, and one finds later (e.g., 1970's) copies of Ansonia movements from Korea. If the movement is by Ansonia, you should be able to tell that simply by taking off the hands and dial; it should be moarked on the front plate of the movement. There is no need to take the movement out of the case.

Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO.
Country
Region
MY USA wall clock. height 150 m. Someone who know about detail of it Help me plz.. Thank you very much.

53.jpg 54.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg
Hello I found a clock like this one or a photo or one like it in Tran's book page 184 figure # 597. Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
My thoughts are still old Japanese copy. All of the finials are incorrect for an Ansonia Capitol. The bottom bracket is not the correct shape, to much like the Vienna regulator next to it. The womans head at the top is in the wrong place, it should be on the block at the top. Possibly it could have been moved.

Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
Country
Region
Hello
I think it is a repo. The top shelf board is not the same and the only Ansonia that used the bottom square corner glass is in 1901 page 184.
Even the finials are different but the main give away is the finials on the door, you do not take them off or replace them like you could with the any finials that you like. They have to stay with the door and in the book none of the clocks pictured have your finals.

Mike is this what Funky finials look like

None the less it is still a great clock, enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nacht Kreatur
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre