Big Kundo

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by etmb61, Feb 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes a standard size clock isn't enough and you need something really big. This is my latest arrival, number 19087. It has a 5" dial, a 9 1/2" base, and takes a 7" dome. It's had some major repairs done including some barrel teeth replaced and bushing every pivot (WHY?).

19087.jpg 19087a.jpg 19087b.jpg

I'll need to find another pendulum 35 or some parts. I have most of one but it's missing one ball assembly and the hook.

I guess the date is 1926-28. Looks like plate 1355 but the click spring holes are reversed.

I've seen several of these for sale, most without the glass. Don't know where you would find a dome this size.

Now I just have to find a place for it.

Eric

2. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice one. You don't see this one nearly as often as the four pillar model.
    I probably have the ball you need.
    Can you take measurements of the shell halves (They varied quite a bit, year to year, actually) and describe the weight composition and shape?
    Or post a pic of an existing weight.

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric, nice example. Made in July-Aug period of 1927 based on the serial number. The deal with Plate 1355 is that it is drawn incorrectly for the serial number found on the illustration. Kundo changed the layout at the time they introduced the pendulum base cup in early 1933. After about SN 54100, the layout illustrated on Plate 1355 is correct. Prior to that SN, the threaded and unthreaded hole position for the click spring tab and screw were reversed from what is shown, exactly as seen for your clock. This is also true for a couple other back plates made at that same time.

4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It took me over a year and a half but I've finally acquired a pendulum 35 to complete this clock.

19087c.jpg

Wayne A likes this.