Big Cuckoo

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by fbicknel, May 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This was bought in 1981. It ran for many a year, then didn't. It was boxed for many a year. I hauled it out this weekend and gave it a cleaning.

Voila. A new clock on the wall. 20200523_163236.jpg

Russell Dickson likes this.
  2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i first read your post as 'this was brought in in 1981'... which made me think someone brought it in for repair and you sure took your time getting to it! :cool:

nice.

Russell Dickson and fbicknel like this.
  3. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In a way, true. So many projects, "one of these days." Clock repair was one of those that sat on the back burner for many years.

I took the movement to my grandfather's clock (not a grandfather clock, but a grandmother clock... it's complicated) to a local repair shop and asked how much to clean it. The answer pushed me over the edge, bought some junkers off eCray, and spent well over the amount I would have to fix that movement.

In the process, I have learned why he wanted to charge me so much, as well. So... win/win. :)

Of course, I did wind up with 14 clocks in running order in the process. So... win/win/win?

Ironically, the movement that started it all is indeed repaired, but the case was cracked and I have yet to find a piece of wood to repair it.

One of these days.

gleber likes this.
  4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice carving!

How does the clock on the left sound? Is that like an "air guitar?"

Is that a popsicle stick for a hand on the middle one?

Tom

5. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ROTFL... yep... the hands are all polished waiting for a bluing treatment. So they're not allowed to see air now.