Big Ben Alarm Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by jrbuzz, Apr 16, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jrbuzz

jrbuzz Registered User

Mar 10, 2013
    Kenosha, WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm starting a project to get my Westclox Big Ben Style 1 to get working again. It has to be cleaned because it looks terrible and it's covered in gunk. What is the best way to disassemble and reassemble this movement? The alarm mechanism might be an issue for me, but I'm also worried about the little spring (who's name escapes me) that is driven by the escapement wheel. How should I do this?

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I don't want to sound discouraging, but if this clock is important to you, might be best to send it to someone who knows what to do with it. On the other hand if you are not over invested in it, one has to begin some place. Lever type movements - hair springs and balance wheels - require a lot of patience. The hair spring can be wrecked in a heartbeat with one wrong move. Big Bens usually have worn parts as well. First step is to unpinned the hair spring and turn the balance until the spring if free, the unscrew the pivot cup and remove the balance and spring. Let down the springs, the take pictures and just take it apart. That is after you get it out of the case and get the hands off, which usually works best if you have a Hand puller. Be prepared to do some bushing work. It is not otherwise a difficult clock to assemble.

RC

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JR if you wish to learn clock repair, there are better movements to start with.

4. jrbuzz

jrbuzz Registered User

Mar 10, 2013
    Kenosha, WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do not have any money invested in it other than what I bought it for. It stopped working I think three or four years ago and I never had any knowledge or resources to get it repaired. I thought about bringing it to our local shop here in town and asking them to possibly show me how to disassemble and reassemble it just because of the hairspring. That's what I am really concerned about. I think I'll ask them about it when I see them this weekend. I'm fairly confident I can do the rest of it, but that hairspring makes me nervous :rolleyes: