BIELEFELDT LONDON POCKET WATCH

James The Swede

Feb 23, 2019
Country
Hi can anyone tell me more about this watch? The maker, the year, it works soooo well and in great condition. Many thanks in advance ;)

IMG_3750[1].JPG IMG_3757[1].JPG IMG_3754[1].JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I can't help you with your watch, but your enquiry might be better in the European pocket watch section.

A moderator can move it for you if he agrees.

JTD

James The Swede

Feb 23, 2019
Country
I can't help you with your watch, but your enquiry might be better in the European pocket watch section.

A moderator can move it for you if he agrees.

JTD
Hi JTD, do you think this is a very unusual watch, nobody has answered the enqiury? Or am doing something wrong? Best regards James

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi James,

do you think this is a very unusual watch, nobody has answered the enqiury? Or am doing something wrong?
No, you've done nothing wrong, but I think that whoever signed that movement and dial was guilty of some misdemeanor, because I believe neither the movement nor the case was made in the UK at all, and those signatures were an attempt to deceive. Perhaps you could post some pictures of the edge of the movement, which would help to clarify its origins. London watchmaking had such a high reputation around the world at the time that it was not uncommon for fakers to use it in an attempt to provide some legitimacy for their counterfeits.

Regards,

Graham

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi James,

Yes, they are very useful. They confirm that this is as I suggested, a watch intended to resemble a London piece but probably made in Switzerland or perhaps France. The pillar shape is typical of these watches, and the arrangement between the plates (arrowed in the picture) for adjusting the escape wheel, isn't seen in English watches.

IMG_3773[1]_edit.jpg

Regards,

Graham

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
this name is in a list of bogus brands with different variants but all fake

" Bielefeld / Bielefeldt / Biefeld / Beefield / C. Beefield / Beifield / Bedefeld / Bidefeldt / Byfield London "

usually German made

regards enrico

James The Swede

Feb 23, 2019
Country
this name is in a list of bogus brands with different variants but all fake

" Bielefeld / Bielefeldt / Biefeld / Beefield / C. Beefield / Beifield / Bedefeld / Bidefeldt / Byfield London "

regards enrico
Hi all and thanks again for such professional help. When do you think it was made?

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
In the two centers of the Black Forest and Friedberg were very active around 1840/50
pictured one of the features of these fakes

14122013305.jpg

regards enrico

Last edited:
Reactions: gmorse
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment