Bezel hinge above 12 ?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by MuensterMann, Sep 18, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MuensterMann

MuensterMann Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    I acquired a 1970's American wall clock with a German movement having Westminster chimes. The name on the clock is Landmark.

Does it seem very odd that the bezel hinge is above the 12 rather than being on the side (e.g. outside the 9)? I thought maybe the bezel may be 90 degrees out of whack, but no - it seems to be designed this way. So, you must hold the bezel/glass up with one hand while winding with the other. Not so convenient - as this clock is light and also wants to move sideways when you wind it.

Is this odd? Has anyone seen this design before?

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Not unusual at all.

Put a small piece of teacher's putty (used to temporary stick papers to walls) near the bottom of your case. This will keep it from skating around. I like the blue kind available at your nearest Wallie World.

Also, if you wind the clock with your right hand, try leaning your left elbow against the lower part of the case while holding the bezel up with that (left) hand. Once you get used to this, you might grow to see some merit to having the hinge at the top.

Willie X

3. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an english fusee 2' dial clock in at the moment that has the hinge at the 12, not common but not unusual.

4. MuensterMann

MuensterMann Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    Okay, not common, but not unusual! The only merit I see thus far is that the hinge does not have a force that could bend it out of shape (when bezel is open).

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    And, the clock is always in a balanced condition, when the door is open. And, the door will always stay shut, with or without a functional latch. That's 3 merits, ha. :)

Willie X

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Look at this bad boy that I just finished. Quartz clock, with a massive port hole type fixture on the front. It had been dropped from the wall, and all of the wood screws had ripped out. I just had to fill the holes and re-thread for new screws. Hinge at the 12:00 position, as was being discussed :)

Attached Files:

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Linden battery-rewind clocks usually have the hinge at the top.

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Large round bezels are best to be hinged at the top.
    A side hinge would fail quickly.
    You can use the Blu-Tac or put a small brad into the
    case near the bottom and grind the head off, leaving a
    small point ( moto-tool ).
    I've seen this done on cuckoos and it works well.
    Tinker Dwight

9. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hmm, try this one, this has a side hinge that I think is not going to fail in a hurry :)

the 2' bezel and sight ring is spun brass, the glass is plastered in place so the whole bezel is quite heavy, the hinge is 6" long, 5 brass screws hold the bezel to the hinge and 4 large wood screws the hinge to the timber surround.

clock itself is an english fuzee dates from mid to late 1800s.

Attached Files:

10. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Hi
    I suppose it depends some on the quality of the clock.
    Here is one I just put a suspension spring in. It is hinged
    from the top and there is no way the hinge, it has, would
    work at 3, like yours. It is 16 inches across.
    Tinker Dwight
    HowardMiiller.jpg

11. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    Being from California :cool:I can tell you about a product called "Quake Wax." I know that museums use it to hold items in place on shelves, etc. It comes in a plastic jar about 16oz. and you can scrape a little out and roll it into about a 3/8 ball and stick it to the back of the case then push it against the wall. It will keep the case from moving while you wind it. it is pretty easy to remove, thin blade putty knife, and I have never seen it leave a mark. You can also push it flat enough against the wall so the clock stays vertical. One jar will last about a million years. I've had a jar for almost 20 and I'm not half way through.

You could also try those removable sticky tabs that you can get at Michael's. They will also hold the clock so you can wind it.

Walt

12. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Here is an Ingraham with the bezel hinge in the upper right quadrant..................and suspension spring affixed to the back board above the 12.
    Bruce

ING Gallery 1.jpg

13. clockinit2

clockinit2 Registered User

May 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Region Flag:
    DSC04376.jpg

Hi this korean clock I just got has the hinge at the top over the 12. But the bezel /glass is missing .
    So must not be so unusual maybe just a different style.