• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Best way to straighten an arbor?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've got a 400 day that had a spring malfunction that bent the one and two arbors. The barrel arbor is straight enough to work OK, but the number two needs a new pivot as well. Can't pivot until it's straight, and close enough isn't :) So how do you guys do it? I see a straightening device from Timesavers that's REAL pricey. Hope not to go there :)

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
SB, you probably have everything you need. Each bent arbor has to be dealt with based on it's characteristics, where the pinion is, and where the gear is, and where the bend is. A bench block with the right sized hole (same size as the arbor) helps. But a piece of hardwood can easily be drilled to fit the arbor (hole must be perfectly diagonal). How you go about the straightening depends on my second sentence.
You may be able to chuck it in your lathe, and turn it by hand, pushing towards center until it runs true. You might spin it in the bench block and do the same. I've never had one that couldn't be straightened, but some are definately more difficult than others.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Huckabee's book shows a simple method. Arbor is rested on two grooved blocks (with space between for the wheel). Roll it until the high side is up, then tap it near the middle with a hammer & flat punch. Repeat until straight.

bangster

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Bug,

What Bang said Huckabee said, except use a small thin hardwood block struck with the hammer. Apply this force through the end-grain of the block and directly onto the pinion. This is where the deforming force struck so you will be best to put the reforming force in the same place, just in the opposite direction.

Willie X

Clockworks999

May 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
Country
Blocks (or the jaws of a bench vice), hammer, and hardwood "punch" works for me, too.

I've got an old depthing tool that I use for spinning the arbor to check that it's running true.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Bug,

What Bang said Huckabee said, except use a small thin hardwood block struck with the hammer. Apply this force through the end-grain of the block and directly onto the pinion. This is where the deforming force struck so you will be best to put the reforming force in the same place, just in the opposite direction.

Willie X
Right. I was writing from memory, without checking the book. What Wilie said.

bangster

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
For me it depends also on the size on the arbor. If it's a thick one, low in the train, I do it in the drill press - small ones in the lathe. I'm not a big fan of striking here, but can see it's merits over a steady bend.

Dave D

Apr 5, 2006
Huckabee's book shows a simple method. Arbor is rested on two grooved blocks (with space between for the wheel). Roll it until the high side is up, then tap it near the middle with a hammer & flat punch. Repeat until straight.

bangster

What's the name of this book? It sounds like something I would enjoy.
Dave

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Bug,

Willie X
Very interesting idea. I'd naturally want to avoid banging on the pinion, but that sure makes sense! Thanks to everyone who contributed! I'm going to try the wood blocks first and see what works best for me.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
What's the name of this book? It sounds like something I would enjoy.
Dave
Dave, the book is called "The top 300 Trade Secrets of a Master Clockmaker" by J.M. Huckabee.
I don't see it in my latest Timesavers catalogue, so it may be out of print.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g